Any luck with restoring Synology SHR volume

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
n9sla

Any luck with restoring Synology SHR volume

Post by n9sla » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:06 pm

Why am I able to restore files in linux manually but not in r-studio?

I created a best case scenario with a spare synology I have, I am attempting to restore a single file I copied to the synology before shutting it down and moving the 4 drives to a Centos7 server running the rsagent for linux. I can use standard linux mdadm --assemble --scan and it assembles the raid correctly. I can do a lvdisplay and the logical volume is detected as it should. I mount the lvm device to a folder and there is my file, I checked it with md5sum and we have a match!

Great, I deactivate the lvm and mdadm --stop my raid. On to r-studio...

In r-studio for linux (3.9.2015) I am able to reconstruct the RAID, it is able to detect the order of drives and offsets, block size and whatnot. It even detects the lvm group but the lvm volume states it is not complete, missing disks. What do you mean missing disks?? Is there some magic I don't know about?

I did call support but was basically referred to the forums.

See screen attachment for the lvm incomplete message.

Thank you for your help! I really do appreciate it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Data-Medics

Re: Any luck with restoring Synology SHR volume

Post by Data-Medics » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:05 pm

Try creating a region at 2048 sectors past the start of partition 3 on each drive. Then assemble the RAID using those regions and Right Synchronous parity rotation.

If you still can't figure it out, PM me and I can help remotely.