Restore split raid1

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
SplitRaid

Restore split raid1

Post by SplitRaid » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:41 pm

Hello.
Is there a way to use R-studio to restore a Raid1 array?
I dont se raid 1 mentioned i questions nor in documentation
I have files and folders on the disks and the disks are S.M.A.R.T-wise okay.
I have a QNAP TS-469L and a lack experience of Linux(submitted some easy commands with the cut&paste method but without knowing what I was doing in detail).
Originally I had 4 dIsks in 2 raid 1 Volumes 2 6TB disks in one and 2 3TB disks in another.
But somehow I made some mistake so the raid was split and then I had 4 volumes instead of 2 but the 2 6TB volumes had the same name(and should be in one Raid 1 Volume) and the same for the 2 3TB disks.
Data are still in place but instead of a MD0_DATA and MD1_Data I now have one MD1_DATA(one of the 6TB-disks) and three new 50014EE058C82098_DATA(one of the 3TB-disks) 50014EE0AE1DB796_DATA(the other 3TB-disk) 50014EE2631334E2_DATA (the other 6TB-disk).
So somewhere in some lost files my guess are that I have files which connects and configures the Raid1 arrays but I dont know the filenames and and I dont know in which order to do it.
So if there are a faster way to use R-studio to restore the array otherwise I could either use WinSCP and copy the files to a NTFS formatted disk or run R-studio to do the same and then initiate the other disk and put in the QNAP and recreate shared folders and copy.
But I feel a bit unsafe to copy the whole bunch over the network or by a USBbay-connection directly to the NAS and also unsafe to run R-studio and restore fils and then copy from USB-bay via desktop via network to NAS.

Corsari

Re: Restore split raid1

Post by Corsari » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:31 am

This is a question for the QNAP support :-)

But they are a feed for our service, so I would not ask any help to the QNAP support.

You are lucky, since you didn't wiped all off. QNAP filesystem would not forgive you, if any initialization happen, all the files names and folders trees are lost forever.

So, my friendly suggestion is
Copy your data in a safe place and initialize the NAS from scratch.

I would not play with the system either if there is a way to access its terminal.

Kind regards
Robert
Technical Manager @ Recupero Dati RAID FAsTec (Italy)

USEFUL RULES and GUIDELINES
1) What to check BEFORE begin a disk image/clone process [link]
2) Disks that are too slow while imaging/cloning them [link]
3) All my posts on this forum [link]

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:06 pm

I believe you can edit qnap RAID configurations just using mdadm in LInux. Or there's the easier method to just backup the data somewhere, reconstruct the RAID, and copy the data back.

SplitRaid

Post by SplitRaid » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:53 am

Data-Medics wrote:I believe you can edit qnap RAID configurations just using mdadm in LInux. Or there's the easier method to just backup the data somewhere, reconstruct the RAID, and copy the data back.
Well as I said when starting the thread I have the copy option but they are quite time consuming(3-4 days) and vulnerably if the electricity goes..
I tried to wipe out the data of one of the disks and put it back hoping the "dear" QNAP should rebuild it but the clean disk cant be seen in the WEB-intterface.
But if I use putty with "fdisk -lu" its visible/present.

So if someone with good knowledge of which files to change and what to change to and maybe which files to add if there are any lost files.
I have a "lightweighted" Linux knowledge and not the nerves to take big risks when I am working inside the system files.
So a step by step instruction with instructions what to do, in which order and preferably why(an explanation how the files are connected and which processes they influence) should make me a happy person.

Corsari

Post by Corsari » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:00 am

These are mdadm issues

For those issues I suggest you to ask on http://www.linuxquestions.org/

I always got good hints in there

Regards
Robert
Technical Manager @ Recupero Dati RAID FAsTec (Italy)

USEFUL RULES and GUIDELINES
1) What to check BEFORE begin a disk image/clone process [link]
2) Disks that are too slow while imaging/cloning them [link]
3) All my posts on this forum [link]