RAID recovery - unexpected node type -27 at file header

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
aparis

RAID recovery - unexpected node type -27 at file header

Post by aparis » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:43 am

Hello, I'm trying to use RT to recover a 3-drive RAID that shows the following error message: 'unexpected node type -27 at file header' (see attached picture).

RT sees the RAID volume right away and displays its name properly on the left but when I ran a full scan on this volume it only was able to find RAW data (this RAID had an HFS+ partition).

So I went ahead trying to create my own volume set and none of the different combinations of these 3 drives gives me the proper HFS file structure that I'm trying to recover. (Here is a download link if you're interested to see the saved scan of the 4 combinations I tried: https://we.tl/M0bbsaDbvc)

Does anybody have any idea what else I could do to try to recover this RAID volume? I'm really surprised that it shows up immediately with its proper original name to the left but yet I can't seem to recover the HFS volume. Am I missing something here?

Thanks for any help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: RAID recovery - unexpected node type -27 at file header

Post by Alt » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:19 pm

What is the type of the RAID and what has happened to it?

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:11 pm

Just taking a quick look at that scan results box, I see the first several Gb are all 'unrecognized'. Is it safe to assume that some data was cloned the wrong direction, overwriting the beginning of the volume with blank or encrypted data? Or did you start and then stop an encryption process?

apiaries

Post by apiaries » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:40 am

I believe that was created as a RAID 0.

I didn't do anything to it but it was used to recover some data by a former employee but then I was sort of blackmailed by this now formed employee who asked me for an astronomical amount of money to get that data that I couldn't pay. I'm not sure what was done to this RAID before he left. So my only hope here is that somehow the data that was on this 3-drive-raid can be recovered.

Thanks all for your help and sorry for the long silence, I was gone on a remote job for several weeks.

Arnaud

Arnaud

Post by Arnaud » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:47 pm

Just was curious to see if anybody had any thoughts about how I could try to recover that volume.

Thanks

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:30 pm

Sure, would probably take me about 10-15 min to figure it out, but I'd have to be looking at the data myself. I can't walk you through brain surgery when you haven't even been to medical school (pardon the analogy, but you can't convey years of knowledge and study blindly and expect a proper answer to a question like this).

I'll PM you about offering some remote assistance.

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:32 pm

Actually, I find it quite odd that every reply on here is from a different user account despite being similar names.

Are you just creating a new account each time because you can't remember your login? Or am I missing something here....I don't know who to PM.