38TB RAID5 recovery

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
Staale

38TB RAID5 recovery

Post by Staale » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:10 am

Drive shows up as RAW in windows following a failed disk. Did the full scan with r-studio.. that took a good 4 days... And I can see the partition ok, recovered a couple of files ad hoc and integrity seems good..

Now to the problem.

I don't have a 38 TB destination drive. I have a dozen 5 TB USB drives I wanted to get the data across to, but not seeing the obvious way ?

If I select the recover selected files in the UI I have no way of knowing the size of the selected files... Weeding through hundreds of folders manually seems like a sure way of achieving data loss.

Create image option seemed like an obvious one. In that option you can specify size of image files... I selected <5 TB... but no matter what I select it says not enough disk space... so I'm assuming this doesn't actually allow you to span across multiple disks... It's just if you want to create arbitrary small image sizes.

Any thoughts ?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: 38TB RAID5 recovery

Post by Alt » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:34 am

1. You CAN estimate the size of files marked for recovery. Look at the bottom of R-Studio's panel.
2. When R-Studio runs out of free space on a specified storage device, it throws out a special warning where you can specify a new storage place and recovery will continue.

Re: 38TB RAID5 recovery

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:36 am

aha !.. that was the missing piece. OK so I can let it just fill up the target disk and then I can pop in a new one.. That will work for me. I will give it a shot today.. thank you.