Find out Raid Parameters manually (Qnap Raid5)

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
HiddenX68

Find out Raid Parameters manually (Qnap Raid5)

Post by HiddenX68 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:11 pm

Hello,

I need help with data recovery of a QNAP Raid5.

Unfortunately the 4th Disk of 3 is broken so I do not have the Possibility to find out the Parameters automatically.
I don't dare to plug in a new Disk and do a rebuild supposing that lots of data will be overwritten.

So the only way to recover some deleted files is to enter the parameters manually.
There is an article "Finding Raid Parameters" describing a process how to find out the parameters for a Raid5 but it looks like it's only for a NT-Filesystem. Is there a similar process for ext4?

Or - even better - does someone know the parameters for QNAP-NAS?

Thanks in advance for help.
Carsten

Data-Medics

Re: Find out Raid Parameters manually (Qnap Raid5)

Post by Data-Medics » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:49 pm

Likely the array was formatted for EXT4, I think that's what most Qnap NASs use. It's a bit trickier to manually determine the setting than doing with something as common as NTFS, but still pretty easy to do.

Most likely Qnap is using a mdadm RAID structure, so with a bit of Linux-foo it should be possible to read out most the RAID config.

Or, just brute force it. With only 4 drives it's not likely to be that difficult.

Just be sure you clone all the drives first. If you have a second one fail on you now it's game over. Not a risk you want to take there.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:13 pm

Data-Medics wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:49 pm
Most likely Qnap is using a mdadm RAID structure, so with a bit of Linux-foo it should be possible to read out most the RAID config.
R-Studio can work with mdadm RAIDs, so it may recognize the RAID automatically.

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:16 pm

Right, but the OP's post suggests it's not automatically recognizing the RAID. Sometimes using mdadm --examine can give some clues as to the config in such cases and make it much faster to manually configure it.