Circular backup

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
yaronmaor

Circular backup

Post by yaronmaor » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:05 am

Hi,

I've been playing with the trial version of R-Drive Image.
I've created an event to make a daily differencial backup of a drive.
I've set the backup settings to use backup sets and keep 2 sets & 2 image files. I've also set the max age to 7 days.
after running for a few days I see that r-drive doesn't delete the of backup files.

my goal is to be able to set the amount of backups the backup drive can afford without getting filled. but if the recycling of files doesn't work it will eventually fill the drive and fail..

I'd be happy to get any tip incase I'm doing it wrong...

thanks
Yaron
SMTech Support Systems.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Circular backup

Post by Alt » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:16 am

Can you post the scripts from the tasks you're using for those backup sets? See R-Drive Image online help: Create a Script from R-Drive Image, Create a script from a scheduled task.

yaronmaor

Post by yaronmaor » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:07 am

this is the script

append /a /o -s="1" -a="G:\dailybackup.arc" -r="backup all partitions incrementaly" -c=9 -u -bs -bs-num-b="1" -bs-num-f="1" -bs-age="3" -s-n -ms="out.bezeqint.net:25" -ml="username:pwd" -ma="backup@systempc.co.il" -mr="support@systempc.co.il" -mc="Server Backup Error" -me

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:19 am

R-Drive Image ALWAYS keep one backup set - which is one full backup and several incremental/differential ones, even if it exceeds specified parameters, like the number of files. You created a script for one type of a backup - a differential one. You need to create another one - for a full backup, and run it regularly.
Working with backup sets is explained in our online help: Backup Sets. Please note that 2 tasks/scripts are used in its example, one that creates a full backup and another to create differential images.