Saving recovered HFS files to NTFS

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
CT84

Saving recovered HFS files to NTFS

Post by CT84 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:27 am

Hi there,

I've tried to look for an answer to this but have not found a clarifying one yet.

The scenario is this: (assume running R-Studio on an NTFS Win 7 machine)

Assume I had a Mac RAID (HFS) that failed. I rebuild the RAID with R-Studio. I then save/recover the files from the reconstructed RAID to an external drive connected to the PC, NTFS.

This works fine, the Mac user can read all the recovered files as Mac reads NTFS. However, the Final Cut Pro files will not open on the Mac.

I have noticed that saving FCP files from an HFS file system, to NTFS, does something to them that breaks them.

The answer then would be to save/recover the files from within R-Studio to a drive that has been formatted as HFS.

So, if I were to format an external drive as HFS on a Mac, and connect it to the Win 7 machine on which R-Studio is running, would R-studio be able to save/recover/write to this external drive which is HFS, so as to solve the issue of the FCP files?

Basically, can R-Studio save/recover to an HFS drive when R-Studio is running on a Windows machine?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Saving recovered HFS files to NTFS

Post by Alt » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:53 am

All versions of R-Studio save recovered files through their host OS. That means if Windows somehow breaks the FCP files when saving them to NTFS disks, FCP files that R-Studio recovers and saves them to such disks will be broken, even if R-Studio recovers them well. As I know, Windows natively doesn't support HFS, but there are some HFS drivers for Windows out there, some with a free trial period. Maybe, this could help?

CT84

Re: Saving recovered HFS files to NTFS

Post by CT84 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:14 am

Yes, it seems an HFS driver for Windows is the answer.
Thanks.