Raid 5 recovery

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
Robsond

Raid 5 recovery

Post by Robsond » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:52 am

I am using demo version of R-sudio, and I was able to recreate RAID 5 (3 disk) taken from NAS with ext3 file system.
R-Studio sees all current folders (after I created Virtual Block RAID) that are marked with red cross, but don't see the files in the folders, and then I try to recover any of the folders it recovers just folder name without any files ? how can I get the files recovered or displayed ? I hear that demo version lets you at least see the files before you recover correct ? what should I do ? is there something I am forgetting to do to get to my files ? Do I have to create Virtual Raid ? is this the same thing as Virtual Block Raid ?
Thank you so much !!!

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Raid 5 recovery

Post by Alt » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:19 am

This has nothing to do with the Demo mode, R-Studio shows everything it finds in this mode.
1. Double-check that you entered correct RAID parameters when creating the RAID. The fact that R-Studio has found a partition doesn't necessary mean that the parameters are correct.
2. Try to scan the RAID. Sometimes, when the folder structure is severely damaged, this help to reconstruct the RAID.

Robsond

Post by Robsond » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:56 pm

Do you mean following: "device order, offset, block order, and size" ? Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't I see any folder structure if that wasn't provided correctly ?
I am asking cause I am seeing other folders on that partition that were not deleted and I can see files within them. How could I go about discovering files in the folders marked with the red X ?

Process of Enumeration showed quite a large number of files being processed, is that a reflection of actual files that are on that partition or simply some random ?
Thank you !

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:57 am

Yes, device order, offset, block order, and size. Sometimes, a RAID can yield a correct folder structure even when the drive order and/or block order are incorrect.

Can you preview at least one file larger than 2*Block size? If yes, the parameters are correct. Then you need to scan the entire partition on that RAID. Some files may appear in other folders or among the so-called Extra Found Files?

Robsond

Post by Robsond » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:44 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. I was able to open files in the folders that are available. Even clips as large as 10mb without issues.
But my question is, why can I access files from the folders marked with "?" mark ?
I also run full scan as you suggested and it came out will all bunch of partitions ? (you can see in attached document with screenshots:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70626926/sample2.rtf
How would I recover the structure as you can clearly see the folder structure is there but no files :(
Thank you

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:35 am

Folders marked with ? are so-called "questionable" folders, or folders with possibly invalid content. Most likely, the files from those folders can be found somewhere else, in your case, I suggest sorting files by their extensions. Such folders appear when the file system is partially damaged.
Entries doesn't always mean actual files. There may be some data bits that R-Studio considers as file parts. That's why so a so large number.

Robsond

Post by Robsond » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:29 pm

WHich one should I restore ? there are so many "partitions" ?? that were found after the scan. (check the link above with attachment)
What is the best approach to do it ?

Thank you !

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:25 am

First, I'd try to see what is inside the "Direct Volume" and try to find files that are not in the "questionable" folders using sorting files by their extensions. See R-Studio help for more details: Find and Mark Multiple Files. If you find the files, try to preview them by double-clicking to see that they are correct. If yes, you may recover files from this partition.
Second, I'd do all that for the Recognized2869 partition.

Robsond

Post by Robsond » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:12 pm

I dont think I could manage myself to do it.
Seems that one disk is not responsive anymore, I only see 2 now :( would I be able to reconstruct raid if I was to get another empty one ? and than recover deleted or missing files ? I wonder what are my options ?
What is that option: http://www.r-studio.com/#technician-package license ?
Would I get dedicated resource to work with me ?
also what is that http://www.r-studio.com/#network would that work with NAS enclosure over NETWORK like Dlink 343?

Thank you!

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:52 pm

Well, the better way is to use disk images rather than the original disks themselves, although that requires so much extra disk space. On-line help: Images.
You don't have to add a new empty disk, you may add a void object Missing disk to the virtual RAID. Just right-click the Parents tab of the RAID and select Add missing disk from the shortcut menu.
Actually, RAID 5 can withstand a loss of one disk, although, the lack of the disk will make data recovery for your case seriously harder.
No, the Technician package doesn't include "a dedicated resource to work with you".
About data recovery from a NAS: 52. I wish to recover data from a NAS storage. Is R-Studio Network a solution for me?.