RAID 5 problems

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
ebloke

RAID 5 problems

Post by ebloke » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:04 am

Hi All,

I am having issues with my RAID 5 and need to try to recover the data from it.

I have an Areca ARC-1220 with 5 WD 500GB drives setup in a RAID 5. One of the drives failed and now the OS (windows 2008) is seeing the file system as RAW instead of NTFS. When I initially ran R-Studio, the Areca controller showed up in the drive panel with only the 3 paritions (H:, I: and J:) listed, no indication that it was a raid set. When I looked at the tutorial on how to create a virtual RAID, the screen shots showed each drive in the array should be selectable in the drive panel, but that was not the case for me. I only saw parition information. When I tried to do a scan of the parition, R-Studio crashed just after the scan completed. I am not really sure where to go from here. How can I create a virtual RAID?

Much obliged for any help!

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: RAID 5 problems

Post by Alt » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:17 am

Can you attach a screenshot of the Drives panel with the RAID5 disks?

ebloke

Post by ebloke » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:11 pm

I wish I could. But after a reboot, now it doesn't show up in the drive panel at all. The only drives that are there is my C, D, E, F and G drives, which are all either single drives or DVD drive. The Areca controller does not show up. In the controller management GUI, the raid set is gone. Not sure what happened. I know the drives have not re-initialized or been formatted, so the data should still be there. Hoping there is some way to recover some of it.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:51 pm

I guess you don't have enough controllers to connect the RAID drives directly to your computer with R-Studio. If it is so, you need to get your RAID controller back to life. Then connect them as separate JBODs, if it is possible.
Otherwise, you have to make images of each drive and create a virtual RAID from them.