Can R-Studio only recover good files?

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
darkroomdevil

Can R-Studio only recover good files?

Post by darkroomdevil » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:03 pm

Hi,

I have 2 1TB drives from a Buffulo Linkstation, Raid0. The drives are fine but the directory structure is gone. When in the nas the share shows as empty. This happened during our business's busy season I gave the drives to an associate to recover. He recovered most ... 12,000 Photoshop files and 146,000 jpegs. But some of the images are corrupt. I filtered out the corrupt .psd files in Lightroom. But as many of the jpegs are in the 100MB plus range and we never have jpegs that big I suspect that I will have a huge job ahead of me filtering the jpegs ...

I am looking for a recovery software that can be filtered to only show me valid files, can R-Studio do that?

Thanks!

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Can R-Studio only recover good files?

Post by Alt » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:22 am

The problem is that a human being can recognize corrupted jpegs simply by looking at them. Software can't, if internally the files are valid.
I recommend you to sort the recovered files by their size and filter out too small and too large files.

darkroomdevil

Post by darkroomdevil » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:48 am

Alt wrote:Software can't, if internally the files are valid.
OK, but I am talking about the instance where the files are not valid. Not the instance where the file is intact but the image looks weird. From my first set of recovered files, when I would open a corrupted .psd in Photoshop it would tell me it could not open the file because it was corrupted. The images would show up in a browser, I am assuming because the embedded preview was intact. Photoshop knew that the file was no good so it can be detected by software ... can/does R-Studio check that the files are valid? Or, only show files with an extension that are checked as valid?

Thanks!

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:52 am

We though about that feature but that consumed so much time to analyze every file it recovers.

darkroomdevil

Post by darkroomdevil » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:26 am

I totally understand, although for me it could take weeks and it would be better than looking at 146,000 jpegs ... :)

Since I have already gone through the .psd files from the first restore of the raid by my associate, if the number of .psd files that R-Studio finds is closer to the number of good files I will have an idea as to how the quality of the recovery compares ... R-Studio is scanning the raid as I write this, 7 hours left to go.

I am trialing many different software's ... in all other areas R-Studio is coming out on top!

Thanks

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:51 am

I think, there's some software that can check jpgs against internal inconsistency. Maybe, Google can help in finding it.