Has anyone ever recovered data from a WD sharespace NAS?

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
soly

Has anyone ever recovered data from a WD sharespace NAS?

Post by soly » Tue May 01, 2012 10:07 am

I have a 4TB WD Sharespace NAS. After many weeks of trying different virtual RAID5 setups, and working with tech support, I've got nothing!

With all the problems these crappy NAS's have, I'm surprised the development team from R-TT hasn't dissected one of these systems.

If ANYONE has even recovered 1 file, please let me know.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Has anyone ever recovered data from a WD sharespace NAS?

Post by Alt » Wed May 02, 2012 7:31 am

It uses a standard ext3 fs and Linux RAID layout.

netdiversity

Post by netdiversity » Tue May 08, 2012 10:25 am

Hi,
I have a Seagate BlackArmor 440 with 4 x 1 TB drives in Raid 5. It's in Ext3 format as well.
Anybody have experience with working with Ext3 filesystems?

soly

Post by soly » Wed May 23, 2012 4:03 pm

When you say it's a standard configuration, do you mean that you use all the R-Studio "default" settings when creating the RAID5?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sat May 26, 2012 3:19 am

No, I mean that it uses a widely used ext3fs file system and a RAID layout standard for Linux.
It has nothing to do with R-Studio's default settings.

hddguy

Post by hddguy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:47 am

Often boot sector is around 364 sectors after offset. Will need to create region, assuming disk order is good.

Filesystem will be EXT3, easily recovered within r-studio

eleven29

Post by eleven29 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:29 am

I am in the process of recovering files from a braindead 4TB WD Sharespace in the standard Raid 5 setup. From what I can gather R-Studio found all my missing files and they are being transferred as I type this.

Here's what I did:
  • create an image of each of the four drives, labeling them as they were labeled in the rack: 4,3,2,1 from top to bottom.
  • create a virtual raid array in R-Studio
  • load the images and add only the largest of the four partitions (partition 4 in my case) of every image to the virtual array. The order of the images has to correspond to the order in the Sharespace: image 4 comes first, then 3, 2, 1.
  • Setup the virtual raid as a standard Raid 5, 64 KB blocksize, block order left synchronous. I kept the offset set to 0.
  • Scan the array. Abort the scan after it detected filesystem and superblock data.
  • Open the newly discovered partition and find all my files and folders. Open a few of the bigger image and video files and be relieved that they are not corrupt
  • recover the files to an external drive
I cannot (yet) say with 100% certainty that I'll get each and every file back uncorrupted but this is by far the most success I had on my months long quest of recovering the data.

Hope it helps!

alain

Post by alain » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:45 am

not sure I understand what you mean by ....

•load the images and add only the largest of the four partitions (partition 4 in my case) of every image to the virtual array. The order of the images has to correspond to the order in the Sharespace: image 4 comes first, then 3, 2, 1.

can you explain ?