Image Restore Fails

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
RGuy

Image Restore Fails

Post by RGuy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:22 pm

Hello everyone, well it finally happened, my C:\ drive started to fail with read errors...

I created an Image back in April, so I felt confident I could just restore the drive to that point and move on, but no luck:

-I installed the new drive on sata-1 cable (the original drive was still on sata-0 cable).
-Booted to the R-Drive cd I made.
-I selected Image source & destination.
-It wrote the first 100mb partition, second 1Tb partition and the last 1Tb partition. (should I have writen these partitions before hand? or leave drive blank)
-The screen said it was writing the C:\ so I left it for the night knowing it should be finished by morning.

The next morning it was still sitting at the same point, no progress had been made at all, I ran the check Image for errors from the menu and it finished successfully. So I tried to restore it again, and it stopped at the same point, with no progress writing the C:\ data. This time I only let it sit for an hour or so before cutting off the power. I then tried to load the Image as a virtual drive and it loaded fine.

What am I doing wrong? It seems like a "no brainer" to do, I was using build 4727, now it is build 4738 because I seen the new build up and clicked the link, do I need to create a new startup disc?

I can't do a disc to disc because the old drive was slower than grass growing and stopped reading from time to time, until I powered the system OFF/ON, then it would come back to life. It was a pain just copying my data OFF it to another drive. I restored the drive from my WHS 2011 backup, but it marks the install as "restored" and a few of my copy protected videos won't play on any other machine but the original. Will R-Drive Image do the same thing? If it does then all this Backup stuff is pointless.

Hope someone can help me.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Image Restore Fails

Post by Alt » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:45 am

I may be a hardware problem, please contact our tech support, they'll help you to solve the problem.

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:19 pm

Alt wrote:I may be a hardware problem, please contact our tech support, they'll help you to solve the problem.
I believe you are correct. but when I filed out the trouble ticket on your web page, it kept saying I had the "security quote wrong, please try again", I could never get it right and I didn't see a way to change or re-roll for a different quote, so I gave up.

I continued to try and solve myself, and out of curiosity, I ran the WD Data Lifegurd drive checker on this new RMA replacement drive and it failed the quick test, according to their website the drive should be replaced. I contacted their tech support and they will give me phone support today, but in the mean time, I read their Q&A page and received email support to try a extended test, which the drive failed also. Reading the procedure to write zeros on the entire drive also said this does a "Low Level" format of the drive, so I did that as well, and tried the tests again, which they passed.

I then tried to restore from R-Drives Image, one partition at a time and it restored quite quickly, less than 3hours, but it would not boot. I made the mistake of restoring from Windows, so there was already a boot drive in the system. I disconnected drive-0, and used MS repair utility to fix the boot manager, and it booted fine afterwards. I am now conparing WD to Seagate (which I loaded from scratch)

A quirk about R-Drive restore, the Green progress bar(s) do absolutly nothing, until it's completed, then they fill completely and another window opens to report a successful or failed restore. This action is totally misc-leading as to if R-drive has crashed or what progress is being made, if any. I hope you fix it and you're webpage too.

Thank you for your responce,

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:34 am

Guest wrote:
Alt wrote: A quirk about R-Drive restore, the Green progress bar(s) do absolutly nothing, until it's completed, then they fill completely and another window opens to report a successful or failed restore. This action is totally misc-leading as to if R-drive has crashed or what progress is being made, if any. I hope you fix it and you're webpage too.
I'll pass the problem to our developers, thank you for reporting.