R-Drive Image hangs on "examining possible copy methods"

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
LAThompson

R-Drive Image hangs on "examining possible copy methods"

Post by LAThompson » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:00 pm

I am having trouble restoring a drive image using R-Drive Image. When I select the image file and the target drive, a dialog box captioned "Please Wait" and containing the message "Examining possible copy methods" appears and then nothing further happens. CPU usage for the app pegs as 12.47%, and given that I am running on a quad-core i7 that means it is running full-tilt on a single thread, I'm guessing stuck in some kind of loop. I am able to recover the partitions individually, but doing that is not identical to the original drive. The image in question is from an HP Dv7 laptop and includes a system, recovery, hp tools and primary partition. The location of the partitions is important as the HP Dv7 Bios has hard-coded information regarding those partitions to launch diagnostics and system recovery tools, so the new drive needs to be identical to the old one in order for the special HP features to function properly. Any thoughts?

I've been using R-Studio for years to recover files from failing hard drives, but this is my first attempt at using R-Drive Image to restore an entire partition structure to a new drive from the image of a failing one (I have used many other tools to accomplish this over the years). The drives are not the same model (source was a Toshiba MK7559GSXP, target is a Seagate Momentus XT 750) but they are the same size (91201 cyl @ 512 bytes/sector). The image was created in R-Studio 5.4 and is able to be scanned, mounted, and passes all checks in R-Drive Image. Both drives are attached to a machine running Windows Server 2008 r2 by USB 3.0 adapters.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: R-Drive Image hangs on "examining possible copy methods"

Post by Alt » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:34 am

We aware of this problem and we'll try to fix it in the nearest releases. Meanwhile, you may try to use the R-Studio's Copy module to restore the image to the drive. Open the image and use binary copy from the image to the drive. That should work.

wigglefoot

Post by wigglefoot » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:14 pm

is there a current build that this is resolved in?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:36 am

The next one will have that bug fixed.