Recovery generates duplicate files

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
mars90

Recovery generates duplicate files

Post by mars90 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:15 am

Hi,

My 1TB disk formatted NTFS on Windows 7 crashed. It had ~950GB of files on it. I bought a new, 2TB drive and tried to recover it. I ran the scan, and now it is recovering the files. The problem is that it keeps recovering the same files over and over. It appends .Id_#####_##### to the end before the file extension (where # is a digit 0-9). This is causing a problem because it keeps filling up the 2TB recovery drive. I keep deleting the duplicates so it can continue, but they just come back. It appears to be recovering other, non-duplicate files, in between stretches of duplicate files, so I don't want to stop it. It has been running for 5 days. Any clue as to what is going on?

Thanks

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Recovery generates duplicate files

Post by Alt » Wed May 02, 2012 7:19 am

Most likely, the system is damaged in a way that causes R-Studio to find several files instead of one.
I'm not sure the deletion of files is a good idea, It's hard to figure out which file duplicate is the right file.

gabrielte

Post by gabrielte » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:46 pm

You can use Duplicate Files Deleter .It is here

http://DuplicateFilesDeleter.com

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:19 am

I think such software is good when one needs to delete fully identical duplicate files, but I wouldn't trust it when it's necessary to decide which file is the right one.