Scan freezes

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
ukstar

Scan freezes

Post by ukstar » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi there,
I am trying to recover data from my hdd. I couldn't use Recover and the software requested to run a scan. The scan freezes after about 60% and tried to run few times, but same result. The error message is as follows;
Known file type scan thread has been respawned because of analysis timeout!!!
Is there any way to skip this sector or by pass it? If not, how can I deal with this?

Tks

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Scan freezes

Post by Alt » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:42 pm

Are there bad sectors on the disk?
I will pass the problem to our developers.

ukstar

Post by ukstar » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:24 am

Hi,

Yes

paulb47

Post by paulb47 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:54 am

I see this is quite an old post. I'm using rstudio 6.1 and currently trying to recover data from a formatted 3TB drive.

The scan works great until at 1.73TB it apparently hits a block it can't read. So I'm getting these messages

Error File System 8/29/2012 1:05:37 AM Known File Types scan thread has been restarted because of analysis timeout at sectors 3723190016..3723190272 (1861595008..1861595136KB)

I'm not sure that the program is actually working properly upon hitting a sector/block it can't read. Why is it restarting the scan instead of just moving on. It been configured to attempt to read a bad sector only 1 time before moving on.

Also if i understand the topology correctly there are 216605 sectors per block. So it's been trying to get past this one block it's on for 3 hrs now--to get to 1.73TB in took about 6hrs, which seemed ok. But if it spends this long it could be days trying to get past some bad blocks.

BTW: I''ve scanned the drive with windows and it finds no bad blocks on the drive. So i'm assuming it's just hit some sectors it can't properly read. Surely it rstudio doesn't go into a melt down when it encounters that issue?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:09 am

paulb47 wrote: The scan works great until at 1.73TB it apparently hits a block it can't read. So I'm getting these messages
Error File System 8/29/2012 1:05:37 AM Known File Types scan thread has been restarted because of analysis timeout at sectors 3723190016..3723190272 (1861595008..1861595136KB)
This message doesn't mean R-Studio starts scan from the drive's beginning. It simply means that the thread of CPU instructions responsible for scan processing has to be restarted. But still it's not normal and I'll pass the problem to our developers.

paulb47

Post by paulb47 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:42 am

thanks for the quick reply ALT.
Just to add to the impression that it's not working right---I was unable to stop the scan. When I hit stop it did stop processing sectors but did not terminate the scan. I tried many times. R-Studio simply started using 99% of my CPU and even though in the taskmanger it didn't show as a "hung" PID, it wasn't doing anything. It also didn't leave me enough CPU to do anything much myself. I left it like that for half an hour hoping it would terminate but it didn't. When I tried to save the errors to a log file--that process hung and when I closed it, it terminated R-studio. So I lost my scan.

I have already gotten R-studio to ID and recover many Gigabytes of data from this drive and I'm pretty sure it's going to eventually be able to get most of it.

I'll have to figure out a way around this issue though. I have yet to get a FULL scan of the entire 3TB's to see just how much data R-Studio can recover.

I've tried just about every file recovery App on the market. The only other APP that comes close is runtime's GETDATABACK. I've used it before and it's pretty good. What R-STudio Does that it doesn't (for this specific scenario) is iR-studio actually is able to recover much of my formatted MFR and allow me to restore entire folders with properly named files. GETDATABACK probably id's about the same number of files but they're all generically named like 004.avi. With 3TB of data trying to re-catalog everything would be a nightmare.

So far R-Studio looks like my ticket home!

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:59 am

paulb47 wrote:thanks for the quick reply ALT.
Just to add to the impression that it's not working right---I was unable to stop the scan. When I hit stop it did stop processing sectors but did not terminate the scan. I tried many times. R-Studio simply started using 99% of my CPU and even though in the taskmanger it didn't show as a "hung" PID, it wasn't doing anything. It also didn't leave me enough CPU to do anything much myself. I left it like that for half an hour hoping it would terminate but it didn't. When I tried to save the errors to a log file--that process hung and when I closed it, it terminated R-studio. So I lost my scan.
We're aware of this problem, but it's rather complex and has to do with Windows entrails. Meanwhile, you may save the scan info during the process. When you terminate and then resume the scan, you may load this info and then start the scan from the last scanned point.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:38 pm

I too have this exact same problem... I have a 1.8TB external hdd which has been quick formatted but has not had any data written to it as yet.. it contains/contained approx 285+GBs of data which is invaluable... On using r-Studio, the program hangs/freezes/stops scanning at 18% (336.40gbs) and just recycles the same error message.. (...Known File Types scan thread has been restarted because of analysis timeout at sectors....)
I have disabled virus scanner/firewall tho I fail to see how these programs could interup scan.... but............... try everything they say.. lol
Any help would be much appreciated...
PS... I did use another program, (Stella Phoenix Data Recover) with mixed results... data was recovered after 3day work but files while in evidence, do not play (mostly avi files) regardless of updated drivers etc... Strange eh??
Regards
bravanovich

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:41 am

Guest wrote:I too have this exact same problem... I have a 1.8TB external hdd which has been quick formatted but has not had any data written to it as yet.. it contains/contained approx 285+GBs of data which is invaluable... On using r-Studio, the program hangs/freezes/stops scanning at 18% (336.40gbs) and just recycles the same error message.. (...Known File Types scan thread has been restarted because of analysis timeout at sectors....)
I have disabled virus scanner/firewall tho I fail to see how these programs could interup scan.... but............... try everything they say.. lol
Any help would be much appreciated...
As a quick format doesn't overwrite data on the disk, most likely it still containS the files.
If you use the latest version of R-Studio and the disk hardware works normally, contact our techsupport with this problem. They'll help you to solve it.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:59 am

All problems i had to deal with this fine software like errors and freezes disappear when i added more memory to my system .
In my opinion a full scan of a3 tb hard disk requires 32 gb of memory.