Help with recovering from Windows 8 Storage Spaces

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
normal

Help with recovering from Windows 8 Storage Spaces

Post by normal » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:51 pm

I set up a new Windows 8 computer with 4x2TB Western Digital internal hard drives for storage (not system drive). They're set up using Windows Storage Spaces in a parity formation (I think it's similar to RAID 5). In a moment of lunacy, I accidentally quick-formatted the drive and have lost it all.

I have about 1TB of vital information: Pictures / Music / Videos / Documents and also saved settings files for mostly adobe and picasa software. (and Outlook)

I have a further 500GB-1TB of other stuff which would be nice to recover. I used to use the drives in a HP Microserver (WHS11) before and formatted the drives when putting them into the Windows 8 computer. All the files were saved on a single partition (S:)

I can't work out what settings to use in order to try and recover the data. I can only work out that I need 256kb blocks, and that's it...

All help gratefully received.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Help with recovering from Windows 8 Storage Spaces

Post by Alt » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:03 am

As the first step, try this free software: ReclaiMe Free RAID Recovery. It may determine the parameters.

normal

Post by normal » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:59 pm

Thanks for the reply. Any idea which form I should select for Storage Spaces Parity?

normal

Post by normal » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:02 pm

I've been doing a bit more research and it appears that Storage Spaces uses a new file system called ReFS. The strange thing is, when I check the drive properties, it shows NFTS. This article suggests there's a small chance R-Studio might be able to help.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:40 am

normal wrote:Thanks for the reply. Any idea which form I should select for Storage Spaces Parity?
This program should tell you.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:44 am

normal wrote:I've been doing a bit more research and it appears that Storage Spaces uses a new file system called ReFS. The strange thing is, when I check the drive properties, it shows NFTS. This article suggests there's a small chance R-Studio might be able to help.
As I understand, the ReFS is enabled in Windows Server 2012. Windows 8 requires that those drivers for the ReFS file system should be installed manually. Without that it won't work with this file system.
The next version of R-Studio will work with the ReFS. Hopefully, it'll be released soon.

normal

Post by normal » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:32 am

Alt wrote:
normal wrote:Thanks for the reply. Any idea which form I should select for Storage Spaces Parity?
This program should tell you.
Thanks. I've had a look at the programme. Perhaps I'm not being too bright, but how do I get it to tell me?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:37 pm

R-Studio can now recover data from Windows Storage Space, both Windows 8 and 10. See R-Studio's on-line help: Windows Storage Spaces