Settings needed for Lacie Bigdisk Extreme+

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
PC Surgeon UK

Settings needed for Lacie Bigdisk Extreme+

Post by PC Surgeon UK » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:16 am

Hi there,

I have recently bought your preeminent software to recover a couple of Lacie drives that we've had for a while. As things are quiet at the moment, I have some time on my hands to resurrect the data and at the same time to try to teach myself about your system.

OK so the data is from a Lacie Big disk which faled. It contained two 250GB drives in a RAID-0 array. The enclosure failed seemingly due to a power supply problem they commonly experience. So I plugged the 2 drives in to a spare desktop machine (one using an IDE converted to SATA connection and the other direct IDE). The BIOS recognised both disks. I booted to Linux (Ubuntu 12.04), started your R-Studio and created a virtual block RAID array using the two disks.

Initially R-Studio reported it could not detect the OS, but then when I changed the Block size to 256KB, the HFS+ OS was detected. The Lacie partition was visible too and I could browse the folders. All good so far. I was actually dancing around the office telling people what clever chaps you are.

All was not rosy in the garden however. I then took a closer look at the actual files and found that although some of the data was readable, most of it was only in a partial state with missing chunks and when read seemed to be corrupted e.g. Jpeg pictures were mixed and striped with both bits of themselves and bis of other pictures.

They say a picture paints a thousand words so I have posted a couple of screenshots to clarify things a bit.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B73V5WS ... sp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B73V5WS ... sp=sharing

I already know about the 256KB block size, but my question is does anyone know what other settings R-Studio requires to properly read the Lacie Array?

Thanks

JB

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Settings needed for Lacie Bigdisk Extreme+

Post by Alt » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:31 am

Try this free software: ReclaiMe Free RAID Recovery. It can help you to find correct RAID parameters.