Can R-Studio recover SDHC

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Can R-Studio recover SDHC

Post by Alt » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:50 am

a_und_r wrote:I know this topic is little old, but i have exactly same problem as JMPT had and have same cam, my storage card was formatted under win7 and if i am trying to recover files, but they are damaged.
Was it a full format or a quick format?

a_und_r

Post by a_und_r » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:06 am

Alt wrote:Was it a full format or a quick format?
I thought it was formatted with quick format under w7, but the one who made it just told me he made this format in the cam itself. Probably also some type of quick format.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:19 am

a_und_r wrote:
Alt wrote:Was it a full format or a quick format?
I thought it was formatted with quick format under w7, but the one who made it just told me he made this format in the cam itself. Probably also some type of quick format.
And another question: were those files recovered from the restored file system on the card (using their original names) or just using scan for known file types (from the folder Extra Found Files), and if the latter, did you use the file type description from this topic?
Sorry for a lot of questions, but I have understand what you did.

a_und_r

Post by a_und_r » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:14 am

Alt wrote:were those files recovered from the restored file system on the card (using their original names) or just using scan for known file types (from the folder Extra Found Files), and if the latter, did you use the file type description from this topic?
1. Have tryed to restore file system from the drive(turned read-only before to prevent further damage).
2.Then have tryed to scan for known file types with the signature from this topic, have found 32 GByte of data(card has size of 16gb only but the cam itself writes temporary files, and then deletes them by itself, but in the restored file system were those temporary files as well). However all files which are restored are damaged, no sound, imageproblems and such.

Question: Is there a possibility to find a file with whole Info? There are extra XML files with description of those mp4 containers, maybe its possible to make the search more precisly with it? Have made data-image from the card with r-studio and working only with it.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:22 am

I think your files on the card are fragmented, that's why they appear damaged. Actually, it may be possible to recover the files, but I can't say more definitely without seeing the data, and such task is for a data recovery professional only.

hdrescue

Post by hdrescue » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:00 am

Hello guys,

I have a SONY HDR-SR12E. Recently for mistake I quick format my external drive with all the files created by this camera on it. Making a scan I can find part of the structure folders with a lot of mts files but there are missing a big part of them.
I was reading this post about this kind of files and I noticed the same issues because r-studio can´t find any files besides the ones with folder structure.
I tried to add all the new codes in this post but no file was found.

I open 4 mts files in wex mode to see the signatures and this is what I found:

This is the beginning of the files, highlight are the differences..

https://www.box.com/s/2kqg0jukk3vl35rt978t

This is the end of the files..

https://www.box.com/s/hzdarxb0lb7wdjsxw7he

Can you guys help me to create the code to be able to find the lost files?
Let me know if you need something else.

Thanks in advance

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:07 am

It'd much better to have such files on hand, rather than the screenshots. 3-4 movies of 1 sec would be more than enough.

hdrescue

Post by hdrescue » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:40 am

Hello, yeah sure..

edited by Alt: Downloaded.

There are 3 small files from this camera. Let me know if you need something else.

Thanks

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:00 am

As I understand, this should work for all MTS video files:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<FileTypeList>
  <FileType id="5318" group="HD Video Camcoders" description="MTS Video Files" extension="mts">
    <Signature from="begin" offset="4">G@\x00\x10\x00\x00\xB0\x11\x00\x00\xC1\x00</Signature>
  </FileType>
</FileTypeList>

hdrescue

Post by hdrescue » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:26 am

Hi Alt,

With this I can find the MTS files but they are way bigger then the original size.. the original files have between 10Mb to 300Mb.. the files I found don´t have less then 1Gb / 2Gb..
When I recover one of this files it is working..
This drive is a 750Gb Toshiba and I can find more then 10Tb of MTS files.

Any ideas? Why the files don´t have the original size?

Thanks