RAID Issue - Creating Disk Images

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
LFletcher

RAID Issue - Creating Disk Images

Post by LFletcher » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:47 am

Hi,
I've had an issue with a RAID5 array on an Areca controller and it's been recommended that I create an uncompressed image of all 3 drives which were in the RAID5 volume with R-Studio.
Having installed the demo version on the server with the issue, it cannot see any of the drives which are attached to the RAID controller which make up the failed array.

Would I be correct in assuming that I need to attach the 3 drives either to the onboard SATA ports on the server (or another machine) and run R-Studio in order to create the image files?

Thanks for your help.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: RAID Issue - Creating Disk Images

Post by Alt » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:49 am

As I understand, you need to create 3 separate images of the 3 RAID disks? If so, yes, you need to attach the disks to computer's SATA ports, and then create images. Two things to keep in mind:
1. You don't have to connect all the disks simultaneously to 3 SATA ports, you may image the disks consequently through one port.
2. Some RAID controllers can work as an additional SATA port controller, which may be tempting to do without physically disconnecting the disks. But that that procedure requires that an existing RAID should be disassembled, and that may result in deleting some RAID service data from the disks, which, in its turn, may cause the RAID fall into pieces. So, avoid this if possible.

LFletcher

Re: RAID Issue - Creating Disk Images

Post by LFletcher » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:15 pm

Cheers. Thanks for the response.