Rescue disc to USB possible?

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
jerry2

Rescue disc to USB possible?

Post by jerry2 » Fri May 03, 2013 6:16 am

I don't have a CD but I have 16 GB USB stick in my computer. Is it possible to create rescue disc to the USB somehow to be bootable by BIOS?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Rescue disc to USB possible?

Post by Alt » Sat May 04, 2013 2:04 pm

Yes, and more, you can store the disk image, in part or in whole, on that disk. See more at R-Drive Image help.

jerry2

Post by jerry2 » Sat May 04, 2013 2:37 pm

Hm, in help section I do not see that option. I am not talking about creating images, I am talking about rescue CD, can this CD be USB drive? In the program the only option is to make ISO image or record to CD, how can I "record" to USB drive?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sun May 05, 2013 6:19 am

Well, maybe I didn't understand you correctly. What do you mean saying a USB drive? Is it a USB flash memory stick or a CD drive that connects to the computer through an USB port?
If the first, when it's connected to the computer, it appears in the list of startup devices in R-Drive Image, and you may create a usb rescue disk out of it.
If the second, a USB cd drive should appear as a regular CD drive in your computer. If it can write discs, it'll appear among the list of the devices, and will be able to create a rescue CD disc. If not, you may write an ISO image and then create the rescue disc using some other CD burner.
The rest depends solely on your computer - whether it can be booted from an external USB flash memory or CD drive. Maybe, you'll have to set something in BIOS.

jerry2

Post by jerry2 » Sun May 05, 2013 6:32 am

Sorry I wasn't clear. It is a 16 GB flash USB stick. It is seen by windows as removable drive. It is seen in BIOS and I can boot from it. But the R-Drive does not show it when making rescue disc, it shows no drives (I do not have CD drive in that computer). So as I can not select it I can not write rescue disc to it. Do I have to format it in any particular way (the stick) to be seen as the device I can make bootable drive? I tried copying all files from ISO file but it doesn't boot, I guess there are some other hidden files a bootable USB stich/CR drive must have to be bootable.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sun May 05, 2013 6:39 am

OK, now it's clear. Does any other USB disk appear in that list of startup disk? You don't have to create anything from that, just check if it appears.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sun May 05, 2013 6:42 am

And another question: is this 16 GB disk empty? If not, how much free space is on it?

jerry2

Post by jerry2 » Sun May 05, 2013 7:13 am

Not empty, paragon Drive Image rescue disc is on it, but it still have more than 14 GB free, I can format it.

Thw R-Drive image disc shows this USB as disk drive if I want to create an image. So I can create an image of it. But I'd like to create rescue (startup) discs, and the only option there is to make ISO file, the USB flash does not show as media that I can make startup disc on it.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sun May 05, 2013 12:46 pm

jerry2 wrote:Not empty, paragon Drive Image rescue disc is on it, but it still have more than 14 GB free, I can format it
This is the problem. This disk is a startup one, and you can't have two startup disks on one USB drive. Moreover, you can't simply delete this disk, you have to format the drive in order to create a resque disk from R-Drive Image.

jerry2

Post by jerry2 » Sun May 05, 2013 12:52 pm

I have formatted my 16 GB USB key to blank with NTSC filesystem, but it is still not recognised by the startup discs creator. Should I format it with FAT32?