scan shows file size but does not show files

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
Sargmaster

scan shows file size but does not show files

Post by Sargmaster » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:27 am

I am using the Demo version on an SDD card that a friend gave me. I am willing to purchase if I can get it to work. The scan shows file size but does not seem to restore anything and show me any files. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or if the program just can't pull the files. This is a very important SD card, her 11 year old son passed away and this card has the last videos and pictures of him on it. So I can't screw this up and damage the card. If you can help, it would be appreciated, if not she is willing to send the card in and have one of the large companies pull the info. I will do it for free, where they want to charge her over $400 to do it.

Thanks for the help

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: scan shows file size but does not show files

Post by Alt » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:00 am

I understand how important this work is.
1. If you're not familiar much with file recovery, please read the article File Recovery Basics: How Data Recovery Works. That will give you some understanding of what is to be done and what results could be expected.
2. I recommend you to use R-Undelete Home. It recovers files from such SD cards for free without any limitations. It uses the same data recovery engine as R-Studio does, so results will be the same.
3. You don't have to work with the card all the time, it's much better to create an image of it, and do all recovery from that image to avoid additional stress to the card itself. Moreover, if the imaging goes on smoothly, you can send the image file to data recovery company instead. Cards aren't large, so I recommend you to create a Byte-to-byte image to be able to use another software if this one fails. You may scan the card while creating the images.
4. While scanning, check that enable File Types is selected and click the Known File Types button. On the window, select only those file types that may be present on the card (Multimedia, Multimedia Video, and jpg in the Graphics. Maybe, some digital camera raw files, if necessary).

I expect that most of pictures will be recovered successfully, while the movie recovery will show less success.

Sargmaster

Post by Sargmaster » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:14 pm

Thank you so much, I will give that a try

Sargmaster

Post by Sargmaster » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:27 pm

Let me explain it a little better... Really not sure what happened to the files. But when I go and hit scan, all it shows is Root and nothing else...

I just ran the program on another machine... this time when I tried to create the image it says that it "Failed to create image for "j:"; Media is removed"

Does this help to identify the problem?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:52 am

Sargmaster wrote: I just ran the program on another machine... this time when I tried to create the image it says that it "Failed to create image for "j:"; Media is removed"
Does this help to identify the problem?
If other cards on that "another machine" can be read without problems, this is a really bad sign - looks like the card has hardware problems. Try to create the image of the card on the machine that reads the card. Look at the log of that operation. If some errors appear, stop imaging and go to data recovery professionals.
Scanning isn't important at the moment. The most important thing is to save data on the card.