Long time initializing

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
shepiang

Long time initializing

Post by shepiang » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:53 am

Hi

I am working with a dead Dell Poweredge 6600 server with a 7 drive raid 5 set up. I have used the R-Studio emergency gui disk on the dead server and it goes past the select which interface you want to run R-studio (I just let it select the default one). It is at the initializing screen where it is now hung. The 7 drive lights are all Constant green for status and the activity lights are flashing on all drives. The mouse pointer will not move on screen, it has been like that for 10 minutes – Has R-studio crashed? Or does it take time to analyse the drives? Should I wait or reboot and select a lower graphical setting?

Thank you in advance

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Long time initializing

Post by Alt » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:42 am

I think you should check if the R-Studio Emergency supports the RAID controller. The on-line R-Studio help gives that information: R-Studio Emergency Hardware Compatibility List.

shepiang

Post by shepiang » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:38 pm

Thank you for your suggestion - i will check when i get the RAID controller details. Just for guidance, initializing and getting to a stage where you can use the software, minutes usually?

Thank you once again

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:16 pm

Usually, 2-3 min, not more. Although I do believe that the problem is with the RAID controller, I'd also try to load the software into other graphic modes, just in case.
You may also play with the Startup Media Troubleshooting Options, especially with the BIOS RAIDS option. See R-Studio's on-line help for details: Creating Startup Disks, just the bottom of the page.

shepiang

Post by shepiang » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:34 am

Thank you for your prompt help.

I may be being thick but at what point can i access the Startup Media Troubleshooting Options?

When creating a live cd i do not see a point to enter an advanced set up.

Once again thank you for your help.

shepiang

Post by shepiang » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:39 am

Hi

Ignore my post above - i have used my eyes and found it :oops:

shepiang

Post by shepiang » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:23 am

Hi

I have changed the setting for the BIOS RAIDs in the start up option on the create boot disk and it boots in the non gui interface. Is there something i should do/check to try and get it to boot in one of the GUI modes? as the text interface is quite daunting?

Once again - thank you for your help so far.

shepiang

Post by shepiang » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:54 am

Apologies i seem to be answering my own problems :D I am now on the box using the safe GUI.

I have a 191gb empty space that i am currently scanning. It seems to be finding files (docs, jpegs etc) so all looks very good (fingers crossed).

Is there a way after the drives have been scanned to purchase and activate the software that is currently loaded on the box - or will i have to go through the process again?

Thank you once again in advance.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:17 am

1. You may save the scan results. See R-Studio's on-line help: Disk Scan, down below the page Managing scan information. This is for the Windows version, but it's much the same for the GUI Emergency version. You may save the info on an external USB disk, for example. The startup version supports hot plug-in for such devices. Later on, you may load the scan info for the disk.
2. When you're through with the scanning, look thoroughly through the found files, use actively file preview to see whether R-Studio has actually found something meaningful, and only then buy the registration.
3. Upon purchase, you'll have to obtain a hardware unlock code. See this article for the instructions R-Studio Emergency Activation.
4. Then load the scan info and continue file recovery.
No need to restart the server.

shepiang

Post by shepiang » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:09 am

Thank you for your very detailed response.

Just a few more query s

Is it usual for a RAID 5 to show empty space? My RAID is showing 2 partitions 31.5kb and 62.75mb respectively and empty space 12.07gb.

Also I chose the detail scan option on the 12.07gb and it is has not move from 0% in over an hour thus far – is this normal? I can click in the interface, but pressing stop seems to have no effect. Is it possible it has crashed or maybe waiting for the drives?

I could not find in the documentation a more detailed breakdown (pros and cons) of the three scanning options simple, detailed and none. Should I do the fastest one first?

Once again thank you for your help and apologies to keep bombarding you with questions.