Recovering video files off of a compact flash card

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
truber87

Recovering video files off of a compact flash card

Post by truber87 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:53 am

I am trying to recover a 64gb compact flash card which has lost it's file system. I have been able to scan segments of this file but it keeps disconnecting the card before being able to scan it fully (I've been able to piece together scans to complete a partial recovery) but a lot of the video files on the card have corrupted (about half are fully working so i'm really impressed with r-studio already but am hoping I'll be able to get a bit more off.)

So have 4 questions

Does anyone know a way of preventing the harddrive being disconnected
Does carrying out multiple/rescanning drives find more file structure/information.
Does anyone know any good (preferably free) software that can repair corrupted .mov files?
Would reformatting the card and then performing a deep scan be able to locate any more data?

Thank you in advance.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Recovering video files off of a compact flash card

Post by Alt » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:07 am

truber87 wrote:Does anyone know a way of preventing the harddrive being disconnected
A very disturbing symptom of possible hardware problems.
truber87 wrote:Does carrying out multiple/rescanning drives find more file structure/information.
Generally, no.
truber87 wrote: Would reformatting the card and then performing a deep scan be able to locate any more data?
No, it would destroy some important data about files on the card.