Creating image of raid disk w/ bad sectors

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
TurkVU

Creating image of raid disk w/ bad sectors

Post by TurkVU » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:04 pm

I have a Raid 0 setup that recently started acting up. I want to create images of both disks as the first step in my recovery - I imaged disk 2 with r-studio in about a day. Disk 1 appears to have the bad sectors, and trying to create the image has so far taken 3 days and it doesn't seem to have made must progress (currently saying that it has 9 years left).

What are my options for creating an image of this disk? I've read that running chkdsk /r can help temporarily w/ the bad sectors, but I don't know how I would run that against disk in a Raid 0 array (I currently have the drives in my PC to get R-studio working on them).

Was hoping there would be an option for skipping the bad sectors or for at least making the timeout really short so that it wouldn't take forever.

Any help would be appreciated.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Creating image of raid disk w/ bad sectors

Post by Alt » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:34 am

Don't run chkdsk or other similar programs - they may ruin the data beyond any recovery.

Unfortunately, nothing much can be done about this problem. Timeouts depend more on the OS than on R-Studio. You can create an exclusive region on the disk that excludes bad sectors, but you have to know where those bad sectors are on the disk.
That's why our recommendation on disks with hardware problems is simple: a reputable data recovery pro with necessary equipment and experience.