Recovering files from a WD ShareSpace

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
mjatalla

Recovering files from a WD ShareSpace

Post by mjatalla » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:53 am

I have a 4x1Tb ShareSpace configured as a RAID5 (default settings) and with the latest firmware. I accidentally clicked in the rebuilt RAID button of the web interface and once the process was complete I lost all contents of the RAID.

I have a few questions and am hoping someone can help me decide what to do. Since I did not change any settings of the RAID I assume the data is still there and recoverable (hopefully a valid assumption!).

I decided to get R-Studio and it helped a lot. I was able to determine that rebuilding the RAID does not erase the entire disk - the files are still there. I was able to see many pictures, but unfortunately found that most are corrupted (but the thumbnails look fine), and other files are similar in that they cannot be fully recovered.

Using R-Studio I was able to see that the RAID5 is Left Symmetrical (Synchronous) with a 64kb sector size.

I looked for LVM configuration files, but there were no backup or archive copies of the under /etc/lvm. What I found was in log and other files under /tmp. This is what I was able to reconstruct (same information in each of the 4 disks):

# Generated by LVM2: Sat Sep 3 17:07:52 2011

contents = "Text Format Volume Group"
version = 1

description = "Created *after* executing 'vgcreate lvmr1 /dev/md2'"

creation host = "NET-STORAGE" # Linux NET-STORAGE 2.6.12.6-arm1 #47 Mon Aug 16 16:23:50 CST 2010 armv5tejl

creation_time = 1315084072 # Sat Sep 3 17:07:52 2011

lvmr1 {
id = "48wmss-e1jf-4eO7-cArw-2Zq4-j0rx-7R4gFw"
seqno = 1
status = ["RESIZEABLE", "READ", "WRITE"]
extent_size = 8192 # 4 Megabytes
max_lv = 255
max_pv = 255
physical_volumes {
pv0 {
id = "wFYyFp-7QVw-3GR2-OI2U-BCVx-IpPa-XL4CZj"
device = "/dev/md2" # Hintonly
status = ["ALLOCATABLE"]
pe_start = 384
pe_count = 714218 # 2.72453 Terabytes
}
}
}

It seems to be missing the logical volume info, but I am not an expert. I am wondering what I need to do next to recover the files (the pictures and tax files are the most important) and whether the folder hierarchy is recoverable.

Any hints or advices would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Recovering files from a WD ShareSpace

Post by Alt » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:20 am

Just create a virtual RAID and scan it. You may use this free program ReclaiMe Free RAID Recovery to find RAID parameters.