A little lost. Couple questions

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
teratosis

A little lost. Couple questions

Post by teratosis » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:03 pm

I scanned the drive, it returned a bunch of entries "recognized3" for instance. I get the color code, but what I don't understand is. I screwed up my drive files in August. But I don't understand how to sort those recognized deals out. Is it designed so you just have to go through every one of them? How do I determine which of those contain the files I'm looking for.

Also, the files I am looking to recover are .GHO (norton ghost images). Can this software actually recover files in the 40-60gb range?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: A little lost. Couple questions

Post by Alt » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:38 am

teratosis wrote:I scanned the drive, it returned a bunch of entries "recognized3" for instance. I get the color code, but what I don't understand is. I screwed up my drive files in August. But I don't understand how to sort those recognized deals out. Is it designed so you just have to go through every one of them? How do I determine which of those contain the files I'm looking for.
Some general recommendations: check the recognized partition's file system, start point, and size. They should be the same for the recognized partition and real logical disk/partition. When in doubt, try to preview a couple of files from the recognized partition. If the files are seen correctly, this is the right partition.
teratosis wrote:Also, the files I am looking to recover are .GHO (norton ghost images). Can this software actually recover files in the 40-60gb range?
R-Studo has no file size limit. Only the place to store recovered files may have. For example, the FAT file system has a file size limit of 2 GB.

teratosis

Post by teratosis » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:23 pm

Alt wrote:
teratosis wrote:I scanned the drive, it returned a bunch of entries "recognized3" for instance. I get the color code, but what I don't understand is. I screwed up my drive files in August. But I don't understand how to sort those recognized deals out. Is it designed so you just have to go through every one of them? How do I determine which of those contain the files I'm looking for.
Some general recommendations: check the recognized partition's file system, start point, and size. They should be the same for the recognized partition and real logical disk/partition. When in doubt, try to preview a couple of files from the recognized partition. If the files are seen correctly, this is the right partition.
teratosis wrote:Also, the files I am looking to recover are .GHO (norton ghost images). Can this software actually recover files in the 40-60gb range?
R-Studo has no file size limit. Only the place to store recovered files may have. For example, the FAT file system has a file size limit of 2 GB.
THanks,

My scan returns over 30 recognized partitions. It is pretty technical, trying to understand it. I went through about 10 of these so far, and still not getting the pattern or finding any ghost files. If R-Studio doesn't have the extension in its registry(.gho) and I type the extension in the recognized partitions search box will it know what to look for?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:17 am

Sorry, but the only way to find a right Recognized partition is try and fail.

teratosis

Post by teratosis » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:11 pm

Alt wrote:Sorry, but the only way to find a right Recognized partition is try and fail.
WHat about this question? If R-Studio doesn't have the extension in its registry(.gho) and I type the extension in the recognized partitions search box will it know what to look for?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:30 am

teratosis wrote: WHat about this question? If R-Studio doesn't have the extension in its registry(.gho) and I type the extension in the recognized partitions search box will it know what to look for?
I don't quite understand the question.
If you want to find .gho files among files on a Recognized partition, just use the advanced search capabilities of R-Studio.
If you want to use Scan for Known File Types, you'll have to add a file signature for them for R-Studio. Our article Creating a Custom Known File Type for R-Studio explains how to find the file signature, and you may use the Built-in Graphic File Signature Editor to add it to R-Studio's list of Known File Types.