how to use recovered files?

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
ucontrol

how to use recovered files?

Post by ucontrol » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:40 pm

I am new to "Data Recovery" and am trying to recover a wealth of videos of my grandchildren growing up. I experenced an episode with my D-Link network storage unit which resulted in both the HD's in the unit being reformatted by the D-Link software. I contacted D-Link and they recommended R Studio Data Recovery software to recover the files. I removed the HD's from the D-Link unit and placed them one at a time into my desktop together with a blank HD. My question is this when R Studio is finished scanning the subject HD I right click on the results and click restore or recover. This results in many files being written to the blank HD. I have tried in vain to view these files. I have tried VLC but it could not open them. I tried converting the files to an avi format which allowed the files to open with VLC but the video would break up or hang up all the time. Any ideas?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: how to use recovered files?

Post by Alt » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:40 am

Most likely the videos are recovered incorrectly. It's necessary to find out why.
Which model is that D-link network storage? How the disks were configured and how did you do that recovery?

ucontrol

Post by ucontrol » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:48 pm

The D-Link storage devices are model no. DNS-320. The discs on one were configured as Raid 1 on the other they were configured as two separate drives.
I did the recovery by selecting the HD in the left window and pressing the "Scan" button.
When the program finished, after many hours, I had a field of data on the right window that looked like a "de frag" field and a list of "Recovered" sections on the left window.
I then right clicked on each of the "recovered" sections listed on the left window and found that one of them that opened a window that had a command something like "Recover" listed.
I selected this command and after a few hours it created, on the blank HD I selected, Many folders some of which contain files that look like video files with extension like...FLV, mp4,avi...etc. The files are of the same general size as the originals.
As I mentioned none of the files, in any folder or format, will open with VLC. A couple of the files in one of the folders will sort of open with the
"Wondershare Video Converter" program but it is very choppy.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:52 am

As I understand, the disks were configured as a mirror in the DNS-320, and as two separate drives in the computer where R-Studio is installed.
Can you attach the screenshot of R-Studio's main panel with the scan results?