Why does a free & opensource tool work better?

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
mastereworm

Why does a free & opensource tool work better?

Post by mastereworm » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:44 am

Hi there,

my trouble was usual: just formatted a SD card (Qumo 16 Gb class 10) in my Nikon. Then I came to my friend with r-studio 5.2 installed, we made an image, scanned it and tried to recover photos... The card was full for about a half, containing some videos in .mov & about 1000 pictures in .jpg. The recovery result was unsatisfying: only 10 percent of files (mainly from the start of the card) were readable, and could be opened in common viewers. Then we traveled to frind's company, where used R-studio 7 on the same card... and received NO readable files, while their quantity & sizes match our first try.

Googled for some time, & found some reports of success with Testdisk/Photorec - http://www.clarity.net/~adam/recoverpix.html

Then we run this FREE & opensource tool on that card - and we got all videos & photos fully readable! So why it can be so? Why R-Studio with price over $100 can't do the work, but Photorec does? Maybe your programmers try to find some useful stuff in that sourcecode - than why not to buy some things to improve your commercial product making it more powerful?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Why does a free & opensource tool work better?

Post by Alt » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:35 am

That particular SD card or its image is needed to clarify the situation, otherwise this is nothing but words.
У нас, кстати, есть русский форум : forum.r-tt.com/ru .

mastereworm

Post by mastereworm » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:12 am

I expected that answer:) Well, when I face next time such situation, I'll attach an image. The subject SD contained too personal pics, so I'll try to model the situation with another card.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:00 am

We'll see.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:02 pm

Actually, you may make some pictures of, say, you ceiling, then format the card, and test the software.