Using Bitlocker with R-Drive

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
JanesJr1

Using Bitlocker with R-Drive

Post by JanesJr1 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:54 pm

My basic question: do I have to store my backup image for the C: (OS) drive on an un-encrypted disk? That is, if my R-Drive backup image is on a Bitlocker-encrypted portable drive, and I use an R-Drive startup CD with the intention of restoring the fixed drives on the computer, can I unlock the Bitlocker drive containing the backup image using only the Bitlocker password? Or with the Bitlocker recovery key? In other words, will the Bitlocker backup drive open if unconnected to the OS hard drive that created it? (I don't have a good way to test this directly...)

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Using Bitlocker with R-Drive

Post by Alt » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:42 am

No. You won't be able to unlock a Bitlocker disk in the startup version of R-Drive Image.

JanesJr1

Post by JanesJr1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:44 pm

Then the backup drive will be a security risk, I assume. Is there an alternative solution ... some encryption method that is device independent (just password driven) AND can be used to un-encrypt the backup drive prior to or during the R-Drive recovery process (using the R-Drive startup CD)?

Does R-Drive's encryption solution (I forget the name right now), the one that creates a virtual drive out of a directory file, help with this?

Thank you!

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:53 pm

R-Drive Image can protect its images with a password, although I wouldn't call it military-strong encryption.
Otherwise, you can use encrypted disk containers shared on a network, although they must be opened and mounted before R-Drive Image can access them.