R-Drive Image Licensing?

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
The IT Pro

R-Drive Image Licensing?

Post by The IT Pro » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:29 pm

Hello everyone at R-TT,

From the subject, I am sure you know what this question is about. But first I must provide some thorough context of what I plan to use this software for, and so the journey begins...

I work in an organization with many employees, we have many PCs that work with the many machines that operate our processes and create our products. Many are old, and have proprietary software that we need backed up, some run Unix, Windows XP-Windows 8.1, DOS, OS/2,...etc. Are backup method is to utilize Windows Backup & Restore from Microsoft when we can, or create disc images or disk clones with Clonezilla. So in our quest to find a more modern UI, and some new features for disc imaging we were brought to R-Drive Image. We have used R-Drive Image's evaluation/trail software, and we find it works for our needs.

Taking a look at the licensing, we are very confused. Looking at either the Standalone or the Technician license, this how I am understanding it:

Quote from Website - "R-Drive Image Standalone license allows Licensee (home user or organization) to clone and restore one computer or SERVER for its entire lifetime. The license is per user and can be transferred to another Licensee's PC provided that Licensee may not install and/or run the software on more than a single PC at the same time."

So here is what we want to do, we want to purchase the Standalone license, we want to make disk images or disk clones of the various PCs HDDs with the bootable disc. Now, we called once, they said we could do that. We called again just to be sure, and they said we can't, and that we would need the Technician license to serve that many.

So now that you know the background, the context, the history, let's begin!

"R-Drive Image Standalone license allows Licensee (home user or organization) to clone and restore one computer or SERVER for its entire lifetime."

^The way I read this, is if I have a PC and install R-Drive image, and even if I make a bootable disc from the software, I could only use R-Drive Image software and bootable disc on that one PC.

"The license is per user and can be transferred to another Licensee's PC provided that Licensee may not install and/or run the software on more than a single PC at the same time."

^With this last quote, I would then install R-Drive Image on a PC, make a bootable disc with the software, then uninstall R-Drive Image from the PC, thus freeing me from the limitation of the software running on more than one PC as time, this is because we were told that the bootable disc and software are of the same license, so if we have R-Drive image installed on a PC and then use the bootable disc on another PC, that we be two instances of the software running at once. So if we uninstall R-Drive Image on the PC, and just run the bootable disc in our organization, that is then transferring the license to each PC for the time that R-Drive image is running on it. That's how we are looking at it.

Is this a valid and legal way of running the R-Drive Image software, Standalone License in an organization??? I don't want to get into the Technician License because it's just confusing to me right now with all of the above questions. Thanks for your time and professional service regarding this question.

Signature - "If you can dream it, you can DO IT!!"

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: R-Drive Image Licensing?

Post by Alt » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:23 am

We can only discuss technical questions on our forum. Just because I, personally, has a very little knowledge of that matter. Sorry.

The IT Pro

Post by The IT Pro » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:30 pm

Alright, that is fine.

Is there anyway that I can get an e-mail to contact someone in the sales department or another phone number? I keep calling sales but can not get a hold of anyone, left a voicemail, and nobody has called back.

Thanks,

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:11 am

I've sent your question to our sales persons. Please, provide your e-mail or other communication means, better to my e-mail: raptorbck (at) gmail (dot) com

The IT Pro

Post by The IT Pro » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:52 pm

I have my answer now, just needed to know where to find the EULA. Once I read that it all made sense.