Accidentally turned my external hard drive to recovery disc

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
Sharon

Accidentally turned my external hard drive to recovery disc

Post by Sharon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:42 pm

Hello I need help. This is my first time doing any sort of data recovery.

I bought R-Studio and I ran the scan on my external hard drive. The files that I need were found. The majority of the files I need are Microsoft Office files (Word & Excel). I tried running the recovery to my desktop and it keeps asking me to rename the file as the file already exists. I am not sure why this is happening. Additional information is that in the log in the left column, the folder icon of the file I need has a red "X" on it. Could you help me figure out what I should try next? Thanks in advance.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Accidentally turned my external hard drive to recovery d

Post by Alt » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:03 am

1. What actually happened with the external disk? Was any data written to it?
2. Can I have a screenshot of the Files/Folders panel in R-Studio for that disk?

Sharon

Post by Sharon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:43 am

It was a very stupid mistake. I didn't read correctly before hitting the okay button when creating a recovery disk for my dell. It required either a CD or an external hard drive. I created it on my external hard drive, erasing all my data. I think if anything can help me, it will be R-studio, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I included all the screen prints I thought would be helpful.

The file log from the scan is quite long, from the green to orange to red files.
Also I included the error message I get when I try to recover a folder. With the prompt for renaming the file.
And the current contents of my external hard drive.

And I am not sure but I think by making it into a recovery disk, it created an extra drive... E and F? Not quite sure what is happening there.

I am linking my album:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/lonecan ... 20Recovery

Thanks and hoping to hear from you soon!

Sharon

Post by Sharon » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:39 am

I made a mistake that I need to clarify!
It wasn't an external hard drive but a USB that I turned into a recovery disk. Sorry about the wrong information. Hope this helps.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:37 am

And the most important question: did it finish creating the recovery disk, or you stopped the process soon? In another words, how much did the recovery data overwrite the old data on the disk?

Sharon

Post by Sharon » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:56 pm

It finished the recovery disk process. I didn't disrupt it mid-way.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:55 am

1. The backup process seriously corrupted the info about the old partition layout when creating the new one.
2. Looks like it overwrote app. 9 GB of the previous data with the backup. How much space did the old data occupy? I mean all data on the disk, not that you want to recover. If it was much more than 9 GB, there're chances that something can be retrieved. If it was app. the same, chances are grim.
3. You've selected the existing disk F:, created by the backup process. I don't think you will get something from it, you need to select a recognized partition without the EFFISECTOR label, that occupies the entire disk.
4. Also you need to look through the Extra Found Files section on the Drives panel.