Help Recovering Raid 0 data

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
Guest Digital

Help Recovering Raid 0 data

Post by Guest Digital » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:39 am

Hi,

I had a MSI GX660R laptop die on me recently, and I am trying to recover my data which were on a RAID 0 setup using 2 320 GB western digital scorpio black hard disks.

I bought a Thermaltake BlacX Duet 5G to hold both disks and connect them to my working PC running Windows 8.1.

When I follow the instructions to recover raid 0 data
1. Create Virtual Raid
2. Add the 2 disks to the parent tab.
3. Set data to the correct parameters (512 KB size is correct as far as I know because I can see my hard disk labels show up when I set it to this size.)
4. When I try to scan this new virtual partition I keep getting "Failed to Read Raid 5 data" or something to that effect.

Additional Data:
1. There are 2 disks set to raid 0 that were partitioned into an OS and a Data partition.
2. Using the lap top to detect the data is not possible right now because the lap top does not power on.
3. One of the disks (Disk A) show 4 partitions, while the other disk (Disk B) shows nothing on the r-studio screen.
4. I order the drives such that the Disk A is always first then Disk B.
5. Trying to make a byte for byte image of Disk A throws "Read disk at position 32xxxx failed after N attempts. The handle is invalid (6).

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Help Recovering Raid 0 data

Post by Alt » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:33 pm

Guest Digital wrote:Hi,
5. Trying to make a byte for byte image of Disk A throws "Read disk at position 32xxxx failed after N attempts. The handle is invalid (6).
That's the problem. Looks like that disk has a failed hardware. I don't think you can repair the disk yourself. The only way is to go to a data recovery professional. With a corresponding price, though.
RAID0 are very hard to recover - one disk fails, and all data has gone. Two times less reliable than a single disk.