Recover from QNAP RAID1 HDD

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
weixia168

Recover from QNAP RAID1 HDD

Post by weixia168 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:41 am

Hi,

Any one had success with recover data from QNAP RAID1? My QNAP device failed to boot up, and likely 1 of my RAID1 HDD is bad, so, now my only choice is to get data out of 1 of the good HDDs from my RAID1. Likely it is EXT4 file format, what is the best way to use RSTUDIO to achieve this? Attach my RAID1 HDD to the eSATA slots on my Windows 7 PC, and run RSTUDIO to create a virtual RAID1? Any help is appreciated...

Thanks,
--Wei

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Recover from QNAP RAID1 HDD

Post by Alt » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:02 am

Actually, RAID1 is a mirror, that is, both the disks have the same data. So, if one disk is bad, you may get the data from the second one.
You need to take the good disk from the QNAP and connect it to a PC, either directly through a free SATA port, or through a USB-SATA adapter, USB3 preferable. Windows can't see Ext4Fs, but you can use our free R-Linux, Windows version, to extract data from the disk.