Recovering Data from a Failed RAID 5

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
TheMOTD

Post by TheMOTD » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:22 am

Have followed the link below...

http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/ ... esktop-pcs

Stuck as I am using R-Studio 7.1, can anyone help?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Recovering Data from a Failed RAID 5

Post by Alt » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:23 am

Where did you stick? At what step?

sdukart

Post by sdukart » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:29 pm

I am using R-Studio and ReclaiMe to recover data from a bad Raid 5 solution. I have followed the instructions I found on community.spiceworks.com (recovering data from a failed raid).

When I get to the step where I have completed the images and have the instructions from ReclaiMe, problem is when I have the Virtual Block Raid under Virtual Volume sets and RAIDs, but when I double click on it to start recovery it says I have to run a Scan. Is there a fix to this?

Next problem...when I run the Scan, it gets to 92%, but then essentially stops working (e.g. gets to 92% after 12 hours, but then after another 18 hours it still is at 92%). What do I do here?

It seems that I am very close to finally being able to see any recoverable data, but I just can't seem to get past these issues, any help is greatly appreciated.

sdukart

Post by sdukart » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:48 pm

To answer your question and further clarify...I am stuck after step 14 of section 7 Peek a boo, I see you.

When I double click on the Virtual Block Raid under Virtual Volume sets and RAIDs to start recovery it says I have to run a Scan. Is there a fix to this?

ReclaiMe instructions for me were to setup as follows:
Image 3
Image 1
Missing Disk
Image 2

RAID Type: RAID5
Block order for: Left Synchronous (Standard)
Block size: 64 KB
Parents Offset 16 Sectors (I can not set this for Missing Disk just 3, 1, 2)

Thanks

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:18 am

sdukart wrote:
When I double click on the Virtual Block Raid under Virtual Volume sets and RAIDs to start recovery it says I have to run a Scan. Is there a fix to this?
That means that R-Studio didn't find a valid file system on the RAID. Either because the RAID parameters are incorrect, or the data is severely damaged.
If the scan is still going on, you may try to stop R-Studio and then see the results. Then I recommend to save the scan results into a file (right-click the RAID and select save scan info.) If you interrupted the scan and didn't save the scan info or R-Studio is stuck, you have to re-scan the RAID once again, saving the scan info while scanning. In this case you may reload the scan info if it sticks again and see the results. The help page Disk Scan will help you.

sdukart

Post by sdukart » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:39 pm

Question...I am using a Demo version, does that impact my results?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:02 am

sdukart wrote:Question...I am using a Demo version, does that impact my results?
Not at all.

sdukart

Post by sdukart » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:33 pm

Ok, not sure what to try next. It only shows Virtual Volume sets and RAIDs with Virtual Block RAID under it. When I double click it says...R-Studio Demo 7.1.154569 - The selected disk does not contain any supported file systems or the file system is corrupted. Select the Scan command from the Drive menu to find all partitions that have ever been located on the same disk space.

I run the Scan then it stops at 92% (after around 12-18 hours), I continued to leave it running for about one more day with no changes.

Any thoughts?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:19 am

sdukart wrote:Ok, not sure what to try next. It only shows Virtual Volume sets and RAIDs with Virtual Block RAID under it. When I double click it says...R-Studio Demo 7.1.154569 - The selected disk does not contain any supported file systems or the file system is corrupted. Select the Scan command from the Drive menu to find all partitions that have ever been located on the same disk space.

I run the Scan then it stops at 92% (after around 12-18 hours), I continued to leave it running for about one more day with no changes.

Any thoughts?
The idea is that either the hard drive(s) malfunction(s) (bad sectors at the end) or the file system is really severely damaged. The remedy is to set the scan area on the disk at 90% of its area and then look what it shows. 10% at the end don't matter much. An saving the scan information during the scan is a good idea.

All that is good when the RAID parameters have been found correctly.

sdukart

Post by sdukart » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:26 pm

Thanks, how do I achieve setting the scan area on the disk at 90% of it's area? Which of the three scan options do you recommend? The log file shows about 700Mb if I remember correct when saving the scan to logs.