restored files are corrupted (Mac OS, RAID 0)

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
ToddBradley

restored files are corrupted (Mac OS, RAID 0)

Post by ToddBradley » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:35 pm

I had a LaCie Little Big Disk Thunderbolt 1 TB in RAID 0 configuration go bad. Mac OS X reports that one of the RAID stripes has "failed" so the whole array is unaccessible. I opened the case, pulled out the two drives, put them in a dual drive USB/SATA docking station, and am able to view them in R-Studio. I assembled a virtual RAID and...voila!...now I can see the volume. All the folders and files look right. But there's a problem.

I found a small file (under 64 kB since I'm using the demo version of the software) and restored it. The data is corrupted. At first I tried a TIFF file and it's not viewable in either viewer app I tried. So then I restored a PNG and it couldn't be viewed either. Lastly, I restored a plain text file. My text editor opened it, but it's all binary garbage. Any suggestions what to try next? It seems like R-Studio is 95% of the way to solving my headaches, but there's some key piece that's missing.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd.

ToddBradley

Re: restored files are corrupted (Mac OS, RAID 0)

Post by ToddBradley » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:58 pm

That was quick. I answered my own question, thanks to this: http://www.r-tt.com/Articles/MacOSX_Sof ... arameters/

I had read in different places that the correct block size was 128 or 256 for these drives. But it turns out that 32 was correct. Now the files can be restored correctly.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: restored files are corrupted (Mac OS, RAID 0)

Post by Alt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:27 am

The RAID 0 type is very unreliable. If data from one stripe is gone, everything is gone. So, you're lucky.