RAID 5 Recovery after multiple reformats

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
ULMA2

RAID 5 Recovery after multiple reformats

Post by ULMA2 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:33 pm

Hi,

I've (had) been using a Patriot Javelin S4 NAS with 4 3TB Seagate Barracuda hard drives set in RAID 5 as a media server. On the weekend the NAS disconnected from my network and would not connect even after a reboot and reset. Received the error message that the volume was not detected through the browser.

In frustration and curiosity I clicked on "quick setup" and it reformatted my hard drives. At this point, I turned off the NAS. Got in touch with a software engineer who recommended R-System to recover the data from the drives on the NAS.

However, when I turned the NAS back on I received the error message "No volume detected," so I clicked "quick setup" again and it still says "No volume detected."

I've sent the NAS off for repair; my question is can R-Studio still retrieve the data/content from RAID 5 after multiple reformats to the hard drives?

Thank you in advance.

Corsari

Re: RAID 5 Recovery after multiple reformats

Post by Corsari » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:21 pm

Hi

After correctly detect/calculate the RAID parameters, you could at least try a RAW recovery (file recovered by type, loosing their names and directories tree)

About getting back at least part of the directories trees and names and files names, it will be discriminating the File System Type.

About RAID parameters determination, in our lab, we usually calculate them with the HEX editor. An HEX editor is built-in in R-Studio, though I prefer one named HxD.

Cor.
Recupero Dati da NAS
Robert
Technical Manager @ Recupero Dati RAID FAsTec (Italy)

USEFUL RULES and GUIDELINES
1) What to check BEFORE begin a disk image/clone process [link]
2) Disks that are too slow while imaging/cloning them [link]
3) All my posts on this forum [link]

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: RAID 5 Recovery after multiple reformats

Post by Alt » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:43 am

You can test whether R-Studo can recover your files or not: What to do if I don't know if R-Studio can recover my files?.
R-Studio can detect RAID parameters: Finding RAID parameters.