Recovering Data is Slow (Hardware OK)

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
viking

Recovering Data is Slow (Hardware OK)

Post by viking » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:28 pm

To make a long story short, windows (Win7 64 bit) Checking Disk Utility, with the option to "Automatically fix file system errors", was used and this caused corruption of the file system (more than 1 TB of data disappeared from a 2 TB drive). The drive is otherwise mechanically fine (& no bad sector issues).

I ran R-studio and it found a partition that appears to have all data intact. I started to recover all data to another drive, both connected via USB 3.0.

However, I am surprised that the recovery is so slow; approximately 3 days for 1.5 TB of data (estimated after 8 hrs)..?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Recovering Data is Slow (Hardware OK)

Post by Alt » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:41 am

Well, R-Studio interacts with hard drives through Windows, maybe some driver issues?

viking

Post by viking » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:02 pm

Alt wrote:Well, R-Studio interacts with hard drives through Windows, maybe some driver issues?
Don't know.. Regular copying only takes a few hrs.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:58 am

I passed the problem to our developers for their assistance.

Peter

Post by Peter » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:09 pm

Was there any resolution?
I've kind of noticed the same issues in some cases, including the latest 7.2 version from July.
Sometimes it's fine, but sometimes it goes very slowly through files. The linear speed is fine, but it looks like crfeating files takes way too much time comparing to regular Win or UFS-Explorer on the same configuration.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:24 am

I don't think creating files is the issue. R-Studio creates files through standard Windows methods. Maybe, it opens files too slowly, because it analyses very thoroughly the entire file system.

Corsari

Post by Corsari » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:58 am

Hello Peter

Please find hddguru raw copy tool and check at which speed the patient drive is cloned on a healthy destination drive (using the same boxes/hardware)

You may have bad sectors on the patient.

Also, SMART utilities may fail when drives are plugged through USB. Plug the drive directly to SATA and use CrystalDiskInfo to check its SMART values.

You may have them healthy or even not. If they are OK, you may have a WD with slow responding problem or and ST with similar issue (which for both a fix is needed)
Robert
Technical Manager @ Recupero Dati RAID FAsTec (Italy)

USEFUL RULES and GUIDELINES
1) What to check BEFORE begin a disk image/clone process [link]
2) Disks that are too slow while imaging/cloning them [link]
3) All my posts on this forum [link]

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:11 am

R-Studio shows SMART data (through USB: Windows only).

Peter

Post by Peter » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:50 pm

I kept trying to find out what's the issue for the last 6 months, and I can say that the problem is still there.
I tried different computers, OS, drives, cases, and the common problem is - when a recovered file system has too many folders (multi-level folder tree) and/or files, the extraction is terribly slow - like 1-3 files per second (small files). Using UFS Explorer in exactly the same environment (running in parallel on the same computer) shows at least 10x faster extraction speed.
Extraction of large files has no such issues, and the speed is about the same.
Just recently I had a case with 14 mln files in 7 mln folders (8.5 GB of RAM was used), and the extraction speed was 2 files/sec (SATA to SATA). UFS Explorer has worked just fine on the same machine.

So, for me it looks like something is wrong with R-Studio engine, specifically how it's processing file/folder creation requests, especially for large, milti-level file systems.
It's pretty sad becasue I prefer R-studio to UFS Explorer, so please try to check it and fix.
Alt wrote:I don't think creating files is the issue. R-Studio creates files through standard Windows methods. Maybe, it opens files too slowly, because it analyses very thoroughly the entire file system.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sun May 10, 2015 7:46 am

I think this build fixed the problem: R-Studio 7.6.158715.