R-Studio and LVM2 Synology volume recovery

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
clbgld

R-Studio and LVM2 Synology volume recovery

Post by clbgld » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:02 am

Alt and all,

I have successfully used R-Studio for Linux in the past to recover Synology RAID5 volumes. The new Synology arrangement under DSM 5.0 uses LVM2 (virtual volumes). I lost some folders and many files when connecting the RAID drives to Ubuntu (do not know the reason at this time) and was wondering if the newer version of R-Sudio can handle LVM2 RAID volumes. I am running an autodetect on the partitions that comprise the RAID5 right now, but browsing through the forum it is unclear if R-Studio is capable of figuring out LVM2 volumes parameters during autodetect and recover any data from them, without mounting the virtual volume in Ubuntu.

Any input on this subject would be greatly appreciated. The RAID volume can be mounted in Linux using LVM2 utilities which shows only one folder left out of hundreds. I would rather have R-Studio try to figure out the RAID arrangement and figure out the virtual RAID parameters from the 5 partitions that make up the data volume, and try to find the missing file from its virtual volume construction without mounting the volume in Linux as this could lead to further messing up the missing files on that volume.

This volume was originally created by DSM 5 using Synology's own RAID scheme, which apparently defaults to a RAID5 arrangement if one chooses 1 disk redundancy, as I did. The volume is about 7 TB, EXT4 and there are 5 X 2TB disks in it. As usual with the Synology scheme, only partition3 in each disk corresponds to the data volume set.

Many thanks,

Cleber

Corsari

Re: R-Studio and LVM2 Synology volume recovery

Post by Corsari » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:06 am

Usually we don't plug those drives to linux boxes

A similar issue happens with Acer Altos NASes

Have you solved the issue?

Regards
Robert
Technical Manager @ Recupero Dati RAID FAsTec (Italy)

USEFUL RULES and GUIDELINES
1) What to check BEFORE begin a disk image/clone process [link]
2) Disks that are too slow while imaging/cloning them [link]
3) All my posts on this forum [link]

clbgld

Post by clbgld » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:26 am

OK, if not Linux boxes, then what should one use? Is R-Studio capable of working on this type of lvm2 volume some other way?

Thanks,

Cleber
Corsari wrote:Usually we don't plug those drives to linux boxes

A similar issue happens with Acer Altos NASes

Have you solved the issue?

Regards

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:49 am

Currently R-Studio doesn't support LVM, but this support is our utmost priority and we're working on it right now. No promises of any date, though.

Corsari

Post by Corsari » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:51 am

@ clbclg

Have you solved the recovery?

Sorry I was not getting notifications on new replies.

Let me know

Regards
Robert
Technical Manager @ Recupero Dati RAID FAsTec (Italy)

USEFUL RULES and GUIDELINES
1) What to check BEFORE begin a disk image/clone process [link]
2) Disks that are too slow while imaging/cloning them [link]
3) All my posts on this forum [link]