Raid 5 Parameter automatic detection time

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
dominma

Raid 5 Parameter automatic detection time

Post by dominma » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:08 am

Hello everybody, I started an automatically detection on QNAP RAID 5 4x4TB system.
Do anyone know how many time this process will run? After 5 days, I have 15.56 Mb processed, 38% detection rate and 12.500.000 found offsets. What means processed Mb, detection rate and found offsets? Which final values I will wait for?
Thank you for help

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Raid 5 Parameter automatic detection time

Post by Alt » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:49 am

Parameter detection time depends on many things, but surely 5 days isn't the time R-Studio is expected to detect parameters for a 16TB RAID5. You may stop the detection. I think, this article: Automatic RAID Parameter Detection may help you to select correct detection parameters.

Corsari

Post by Corsari » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:16 am

@Dominma

Hello Dominma,
as being Technical Manager of a data recovery company, I can tell you that the sequence you describe, suggest that you have made the same errors that either experienced systems/network administrators do :o :
1) you have not run a brief S.M.A.R.T. diagnose on the single drives. This mean
-- shut down an PC workstation
-- download crystaldiskinfo (also portable from http://www.portableapps.com) and install it on the above PC
-- plug one and lonely of the NAS drives
-- check it with crystaldiskinfo. If the big rectangular icon it is not cyan colored and instead it is yellow or red, check which drive icon is of the same color (don't ask details, use the program, it is with a sharp graphic)
-- if the NAS drive is yellow or red, it must be cloned with proper devices like Atola or PC-3000 (unless you don't care at all about the data contained in the RAID)
-- repeat the check for every drive of the NAS

2) I'm pretty sure about the result you'll get from the previous steps.
The process is endless because you have some drive/s with so many bad sectors or even deeper SMART errors and you realistically are killing them with so many attempts without having done a copy of the single drives (cloning process)

-- NOTE CAREFULLY: cloning drives has two goals. Create a backup of the single drives AND make the recovery process fast. Since the cloned drives and or the bin images will be faster than those original damaged/wear drives.

-- NOTE CAREFULLY: everybody should avoid cloning with common PC and software those drives having bad SMART. During the process, the drive will hang on every bad sector for a long time (1 minute, 1 minute and a half) and they are pretty common the drives that in the end, have a bad sectors count like some 10.000 bad sectors. Try to calculate how many days are 10.000 minutes... During such long time (endless time), the drive will get damaged even more.

In the company I work for, we NEVER use the original drives for any kind of process: those drives are the UNIQUE copy of the customer's data. And you can be sure that every professional won't work with the original drives, too much risky, it would be like a Russian roulette.

Now you have enough info. It is time to give your data a value and think about to evaluate if they justify a do-it-yourself or not. If they are precious and or valuable, think about asking support to some data recovery professionals. If you need any info, fell free to inquire me with a private message on this forum.

Kind regards
Cor
Robert
Technical Manager @ Recupero Dati RAID FAsTec (Italy)

USEFUL RULES and GUIDELINES
1) What to check BEFORE begin a disk image/clone process [link]
2) Disks that are too slow while imaging/cloning them [link]
3) All my posts on this forum [link]

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:16 am

The new version of R-Studio can show drive's SMART data. Just right-click the drive and select the item in the shortcut menu. And, yes, looks like there're problems with the drive's hardware.

Corsari

Post by Corsari » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:04 am

Hello Alt!

Nice news about SMART monitor in R-STUDIO

This is a wise implementation... especially if the R-Studio software, in case of reallocated, pending, reallocation, errors will pop a warning that suggests to clone/image the drive with proper devices avoiding distressing caused by images/clones done with a common PC and cloning SW.

Anyway a popup should always suggest to clone the drives and to do any experiment with the copies only :-)

Last: which kind of highlights will provide R-Studio SMART check on bad/warning values?

Thank you
Robert

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:16 am

"Yellow" - warning, "Red" - request to clone.

Corsari

Post by Corsari » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:41 am

Alt wrote:"Yellow" - warning, "Red" - request to clone.
yellow on reallocated/realocation events especially on Seagate drives, could mean we are in presence of a flowering of bad sectors (a fast process typical of seagate's platters coating)

when SMART values are not all green, the wise path tells that the drive must be cloned, no matter if its SMART are yellow or red, unless the subject likes to play at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_roulette with his/her data. As a matter of facts a scanning process could make worse the bad sectors amount, or a long copy process (we find NAS devices with 2.000.000 files and disks will work for 2 days for copy them out), last but not least, some bad sectors could have not yet been logged into SMART and the copy process could get so slow and even hang.

Here the point it is that nobody knows the reason for/of such bad sectors occurrence. Wise people would go through a safe process which mean: clone the original drives (maybe also/either if their SMART are perfect)

That is.
Obviously the drives can work if only some bad sectors have been reallocated. In that case, the subject may think to skip to clone the hdd/s, but we discourage that: it is only matter of doing the safest thing when dealing with precious data (to be recovered) ;)
Robert

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:14 am

I cannot do anything but completely agree with you, yes, that's the safest way of doing anything with data on disks - work with their clones. Unfortunately, ordinary people simply don't have spare storage space to keep an image, say, of a 5TB NAS array. That's the problem/

Corsari

Post by Corsari » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:07 am

You said a magic word: storage.

People, thinking about a data recovery company doesn't consider that here the responsibility and the respect versus the customer and his/her data is a must.

You may being carrying out a multitude of jobs and each of them requires storage for doing images of drives, storage for the destripeing of RAIDs, storage (hopefully) for the data extraction.

This requires an infrastructure that has a cost and only thinking about this, it should be easier to understand that being able and capable to provide such RAID recovery services, does require some costs that needs to be covered.

Long discussion though, only people that know what company-costs are, is able to understand that some costs are physiological. Anyway, either if there is the presence of those physiological costs, we have real flat rates which the lowest one (we call it ultra-economy) is 150 euro per hdd originally composing the healthy RAID.
Robert