SOPHOS

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
Sarnold

SOPHOS

Post by Sarnold » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:03 am

I have an older version 5.x of r-studio and it does not give me the create image option for a hard drive that's been encrypted with SOPHOS.

Does a newer version of R-Studio have the ability to create a backup image (and restore) a drive encrypted by SOPHOS?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: SOPHOS

Post by Alt » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:57 am

Did you try to image the opened SOPHOS disk or closed? Which encryption type do you use?
And you always can try to use the newest R-Studio version for free in its demo mode to test a feature you want. Just install it parallel to the older R-Studio version. R-Studio will ask you about that during installation. You may do whatever you want in the demo mode, imaging included, except saving recovered files larger than 256KB. Then you may remove the new R-Studio version.

Sarnold

Post by Sarnold » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:09 pm

Hi

I don't know the type of encryption since this is done in corporate office. I just know that the drive encryption is done by SOPHOS. When the laptop powers up I almost immediately have a SOPHOS login screen and then once that authentication is successful it then starts MS Windows

I did try installing the newest r-studio v7.3.155233 in demo mode but it still does not work. The drive is displayed in my Device/Disk list as USB TO IDE/SATA Device and when I click on it I then have no option to choose from. If I right click then all of the options are NOT available. I also noticed that the Start and Size columns are blank.

Please let me know what you think

Thanks Steve

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:02 am

I'll try to install SOPHOS and see how it works.

Sarnold

Post by Sarnold » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:18 pm

Did you have a chance to install and try with SOPHOS?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:08 am

I tried it but found that SOPHOS locks its opened disks to prevent any program to circumvent its protection. That's why R-Studio cannot image its opened disks.

Sarnold

Post by Sarnold » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:09 pm

Thant you very much for trying this