4TB RAID 'internal' PS defect, can I use R Studio?

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
Sjoerd

4TB RAID 'internal' PS defect, can I use R Studio?

Post by Sjoerd » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:24 am

Hi, a question from a good friend of mine.

At that time there was purchased a WD MyBook Raid (2x 2TB with FW800 USB2 e-sata connection) and this is used in RAID 0. Later, the disk is used as storage and any more as an e-sata video disk.

Now when moving home the external power supply unit got lost. Through info on WD website she ordered an external power adapter(Not from WD but with the same specs). These connected after receiving and there was smoke from the WD MyBook, it no longer functions. Now the drive is sent to me with the question if I can get the data from the drive, or repair it. Now I had told her that WD gives 3 years warranty, but she would rather the data off a nw replacement drive.

Now I have searched the internet and came across some things against or through an external box (or internal) if you have that option) software to create RAID 0. Usually windows software (iRecover) but I also found something for the Mac, R-Studio Mac.

I have a 2 drive external device (thunderbolt HighPoint RockStor 5212) In which I can place, after bracing the case, the drive in.

Of course I can download the demo and try, but it's really want to know if there are people who have had this before. Before I open the WD MyBook and finally the warranty is gone.
Maybe I can fix it after breaking the internal power supply (which is probably burned), perhaps there are also experiences with it?

We apologize for any grammatical mistakes, English’s it not my native language

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: 4TB RAID 'internal' PS defect, can I use R Studio?

Post by Alt » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:40 am

Actually, you have hardware issues, and that requires a data recovery pro attention. If the data is very important, this is the best option, although that will cost. If this is not an option, you may do the following:

As I understand, WD MyBook Raid is an external case which contains some electronics and 2 disks that from which the RAID0 is created. If you have enough skill to work with computer hardware, I'd recommend you the following:
1. Open the case and take the drives out of it.
2. Connect them to your computer and check that they're recognized by your system.
3. Create a virtual RAID0 in R-Studio and check the data on the RAID. You may use R-Studio for that even without buying the program, in its demo mode.

Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:55 am

Does this also work with the mac version?

So i could open the case, put the 2 drives in my Rockstor 5212, install the Mac demo version of R-Studio.
Connect the RockStor with the 2 drives to my Mac, start R-Studio. And this program will be able to recognize the RAID 0 ?
When creating a virtual RAID0, does the program writes nothing to the drives?

Thanks for your help

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:31 pm

Yes, and what is important, first check that R-Studio recognizes them - they should appear in the Drives pane with their serial number, etc.
If everything seems OK, you may try to create a virtual RAID0. This help page could help you: Volume Sets, Stripe Sets, and Mirrors.