RAID5 - Read from disk failed[0x2b810000]

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
pablogiganti

RAID5 - Read from disk failed[0x2b810000]

Post by pablogiganti » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:03 pm

Hi,
I´m trying to recover with R-Studio v7.6.156433 a 3 disk RAID5 setup which was running in a Qnap NAS. First, I tried to create a Virtual Block RAID & Autodetect with the physical disks connected to a Windows 7 machine but every time I tried I was unable to do so because it seemed that one of the disks “disappeared” after a while.
Then I decided to create image + scan of every disk hoping I would be luckier and would also not damage the disks even further. I created 1 image without problems, the second disk had read failures but the third time I tried I managed to do so. But the third drive is proving to be very temperamental. Basically, this is the fifth time I tried to create an image+ scan but the process stops with the following message:
Failed to create image for “ST300DM001-9YN166 CC4C”: Read from disk failed[0x2b810000]

Questions:
1. Is this the right way to recreate the RAID when 1 or 2 disks have reading problems?
2. The 2nd disk had reading problems during image creation, would I be able to recreate the RAID even with an image in this condition?
3. What can I do to bypass the reading problem I have with the third disk which doesn´t allow me to finish creating its image?
4. The NAS had more disks installed associated with other RAIDs and I don´t remember if the RAID5 I´m working on was actually made up of 3 or 4 disks. However, Qnap´s tech support told me that, as long as they can see, the raid was surely made up of 3 disks. Can you confirm this or is there a way to find this out?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Pablo

Corsari

Re: RAID5 - Read from disk failed[0x2b810000]

Post by Corsari » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:33 am

Dear Pablo
You are doing your best to kill that drive and you risked so much with the other one which required many attempts to finish its imaging process.

R-Studio has a menu that shows S.M.A.R.T. values of drives.

Attempting an imaging process with simple PCs and cloning softwares on drives that are NOT reported as perfectly healthy (all green dots on the SMART report), will be a sort of russian roulette; an amount of times drives acting like your one, turn to the click of death (and at that point, they will be unrecoverable either if processed in clean room), especially the contemporary seagate STx000Dy00z

If that person is caring his/her data so much, it is better to forward the drives to a place where they will be cloned with hardware devices, which will get the maximum of sectors with the minimum of stress for the disk. Read my other posts on the forum for details about this.

Last but not least, if your RAID is 5 and it was made of 3 disks only, realistically that third problematic hdd, was not in the RAID set anymore which mean it is a "stale" drive. Forget it for the moment and reconstruct the drive with the other 2 drives.

Instead, if it was a 4 drives RAID 5, the reiterated processes you have attempted on the problematic drive, could have turned the thing even worst. If your data are critical, read above and forward your drive(s) to professional data recovery labs where they own the above mentioned devices like PC-3000.

Those machineries are managing the drive at tech-mode level (factory) and allow to avoid the hangs you are experiencing: please note, every hang is a potential additional damage.

If your data are critical but you must save money, ask me info with a private message and I'll suggest you a money-save solution for at least the disk imaging process.

Regards
Cor
Robert
Technical Manager @ Recupero Dati RAID FAsTec (Italy)

USEFUL RULES and GUIDELINES
1) What to check BEFORE begin a disk image/clone process [link]
2) Disks that are too slow while imaging/cloning them [link]
3) All my posts on this forum [link]

pablogiganti

Post by pablogiganti » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:54 am

Thanks a lot Core.
This is a bit of a blow actually, I thought I wasn´t doing any damage to the HDs by creating an image this way.
Can I try to recover the RAID using 2 disks and adding a missing drive? I´m trying but when I hit “Auto detect” a message pops up saying “Too few disks. RAID should consist of 3 - 32 drives”. I thought that a 3 disks RAID 5 would still work on 2 disks only.
Also, I requested a couple of quote for data recovery and it´s far more money than I could pay so that it´s not an option I´m afraid.
What would you recommend me?
Thanks,
Pab

Corsari

Post by Corsari » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:19 am

When adding a missing drive, autodetection should work, have you double-checked the manual?

About RAIDs reconstruction with damaged drives, maybe you didn't asked to "Recupero Dati RAID FAsTec".

In which nation are you? If you are in Europe, that's the best opportunity to have the RAID processed by really skilled engineers and contemporary get data back with flat rates and a wide range of fees (as low as 150 euro per disk). Either being outside Europe could result in an advantage, because shipping with FedEx is not so expensive either from Americas.
Robert

pablogiganti

Post by pablogiganti » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:43 am

Hi Corsari,
Thanks again for your help. I might be doing something wrong with the virtual RAID setup and because I´m not an expert, even if I read the manual a couple of times I don´t realize what´s wrong with what I´m doing. I´ll take another look tomorrow and see if I can find the problem.
With regards to recupero-dati, it sounds like a good plan B if their prices start at 150€ per drive. However, I´m based in Spain, their site is all in Italian and I speak English or Spanish only.
Do you work for them? Can you help me?
Thanks,
Pablo

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:03 pm

pablogiganti wrote:Hi Corsari,
However, I´m based in Spain, their site is all in Italian and I speak English or Spanish only.
Do you work for them? Can you help me?
Thanks,
Pablo
I think you can write them in English.

Corsari

Post by Corsari » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:17 pm

Alt is right,

You can ask me details with a Private Message ( click this link to write me a PM --> http://forum.r-tt.com/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=3898 )

instead, you can write directly a message to the company email, just write it in English, to info{at]recuperodatiraidfastec.it

Regards
Robert