Previewing Files using Emergency CD

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
NCP

Previewing Files using Emergency CD

Post by NCP » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:27 am

Hello. I've lost about two years' worth of personal data on my Win7 x64 drive because of a mishap with RollbackRx. I have scanned the disk with the Emergency CD and have found some green and yellow partitions whose files look like what I need. Most of the jpg files don't open in preview. Should I assume they are not fully intact?

I'm most curious to know if the mp3, pdf, eml, and doc/docxppt/pptx files are intact. I cannot open them in preview using the CD trial version. How can I be sure they are in good shape before I purchase the software?

Also, is there any difference between the Windows and Linux versions? My desktop has two internal hard drives, one running Windows 7 x64, the other running Linux Mint 17.1. I'm assuming any future recovery needs will be for the windows drive so if I buy the Linux version, can I use it to recover information on the other internal drive or, say, a usb drive or another portable drive attached to the computer via usb?

Thanks. My main question is how I can verify that the files R-Studio found will be usable before I consider buying the software and recovering them.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Previewing Files using Emergency CD

Post by Alt » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:44 pm

NCP wrote:Hello. I've lost about two years' worth of personal data on my Win7 x64 drive because of a mishap with RollbackRx. I have scanned the disk with the Emergency CD and have found some green and yellow partitions whose files look like what I need. Most of the jpg files don't open in preview. Should I assume they are not fully intact?
Files, that the previewer cannot open, cannot be successfully recovered. You may see what the previewer can open in R-Studio's on-line help: Previewing Files. You may also read our article File Recovery Basics: How Data Recovery Works to understand what data recovery can and cannot do. I believe that, unfortunately, your files are damaged.
NCP wrote: I'm most curious to know if the mp3, pdf, eml, and doc/docxppt/pptx files are intact. I cannot open them in preview using the CD trial version. How can I be sure they are in good shape before I purchase the software?
R-Studio Emergency should preview pdf and doc/docx, ppt/pptx files if they're intact.
NCP wrote: Also, is there any difference between the Windows and Linux versions? My desktop has two internal hard drives, one running Windows 7 x64, the other running Linux Mint 17.1. I'm assuming any future recovery needs will be for the windows drive so if I buy the Linux version, can I use it to recover information on the other internal drive or, say, a usb drive or another portable drive attached to the computer via usb?
No differences, you can use any version to recover files from supported operating systems, be that Windows, Mac, or Linux.
NCP wrote: Thanks. My main question is how I can verify that the files R-Studio found will be usable before I consider buying the software and recovering them.
Only by previewing files. If R-Studio cannot preview files that should be previewed, almost for sure files are damaged.

NCP

Post by NCP » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Thank you so much for your quick and helpful answers. I'm very impressed with what R-Studio can recover nonetheless. It sounds like my files may be beyond repair also. Thanks again.

NCP

Post by NCP » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:37 am

Hello Alt,

One last perplexing question. I ran the scan again this time within Linux Mint using R-Studio for Linux trial download. It is not able to preview files that are known and intact. The only files that can be previewed are jpg files. I tried pdf and doc files, which are known to be supported by the previewer, that are intact on my current drive and previewer will not preview them.

I suspect, then, that some of the files found in the hidden recognized partitions may also be intact but previewer is not working right. How can that be?

The very same file that can be opened from within Linux when accessing a usb drive cannot be opened by previewer when scanned with R-studio. Has anyone ever encountered this? I'm trying to determine if the files are salvageable and this lack of functionality of preview is crucial in making that determination. Should I contact Tech Support with this question?

Thanks again.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:23 pm

Well, I must confess that I misled you about the previewer in the R-Studio for Linux. Only the Windows version can preview pdf/doc files. You should try it. The rest in functionality is equal.
Sorry for this mistake.

NCP

Post by NCP » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:27 pm

Thank you for the information. Since the lost data is on a Windows drive, I favored using Linux.

Unfortunately, I went ahead and ordered the R-Studio for Linux thinking there was hope that the files could indeed be opened once recovered. As it turns out, numerous recoveries from several green partitions are resulting in all the files being incomplete and cannot be opened. It seems the file fragments go beyond the recognized partition from which the files are recovered.
I wish I had waited for your response but it's been almost two weeks with this situation and I was hoping to resolve it sooner than later. It's a little disappointing that I tried so hard to figure out if the files were recoverable and now I have spent $80 to recover broken/useless files. I know I cannot request a refund. I just wish I had been a little more patient.

Thank you again for your help. It looks like I'd have to try to recover each file across all recognized partitions and that is much too time-consuming for me at this point.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:31 am

As a small consolation, I'd like to say that R-Studio for Linux and R-Studio for Windows differ only in their previewer. Their data recovery capability are the same.