R-Studio - slow data extraction

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
Peter

R-Studio - slow data extraction

Post by Peter » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:01 am

I've posted the new update into the old post http://forum.r-tt.com/recovering-data-i ... low#p11539, but still don't see it there, so I've decided to open the new thread instead.

This problem - slow data extraction speed with R-Studio on some file systems has been bothering me for more than a year, and it's still not fixed.

I kept trying to find out what's is exactly the issue for the last 6 months, tried different computers, OS, drives, file systems, and it looks like the common problem is the following - when a recovered file system has too many folders (multi-level folder tree) and/or files, and especially if it's not NTFS, the extraction speed is terribly slow - like 1-3 files per second (small files usually).
Using UFS Explorer in exactly the same environment (running in parallel on the same computer) shows at least 10x faster extraction speed, and it's the same fast if I just copy files via Windows.
Extraction of large files has NO such issues, and the speed is about the same for both R-Studio and UFS.

Just recently I had a recovery from NTFS volume with 14 mln files in 7 mln folders (8.5 GB of RAM was used), and the extraction speed was exactly 2 files/sec (SATA to SATA). ETA was shown as ~ 50 days.
UFS Explorer has worked just fine on the same machine doing ~ 50 files/sec, with ETA of 2 days - feel the difference.

So, for me it looks like something is wrong with R-Studio engine, specifically how it's processing file/folder creation requests, especially for large, milti-level file systems.
Also, I usually use different masking - not sure if it has any impact here.

It's all pretty sad because I prefer R-studio to UFS Explorer, so could you please try to check this issue and fix it?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: R-Studio - slow data extraction

Post by Alt » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:04 pm

We regularly compare R-Studio with other data recovery programs, including UFS explorer and haven't found such differences in file recover speed. OK, we'll check that again and post results here.

Peter

Post by Peter » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:46 am

Alt - thanks, I'd really appreciate that.

It seems that this slow down is specifically related to a folder creation process.
If a file system has too many folders (like 1-2 files per folder only, and nested folders), that when it's really slow down.
Regular NTFS volumes usually don't have that, so it might not be easy to replicate this issue. Modern HFS+ and ExtFS might have that "feature" in some system folders.

Please keep me updated.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:57 am

Peter wrote:Alt - thanks, I'd really appreciate that.

It seems that this slow down is specifically related to a folder creation process.
If a file system has too many folders (like 1-2 files per folder only, and nested folders), that when it's really slow down.
Regular NTFS volumes usually don't have that, so it might not be easy to replicate this issue. Modern HFS+ and ExtFS might have that "feature" in some system folders.

Please keep me updated.
Thanks, I've passed this info to our developers.

Peter

Post by Peter » Fri May 01, 2015 10:09 am

hi Alt,

do you have any updates from developers?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri May 01, 2015 11:09 am

I expect they'll fix the bug in the next build.

VAS_Tesweb

Post by VAS_Tesweb » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:50 am

It happens especially with Mac OS file systems. A huge gain of time can be done by using filters to export the data (try to exclude all the files starting with "._*"

It worked for me.

Cheers