Windows 8.1 and R-Drive Startup Disk

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
JanesJr1

Windows 8.1 and R-Drive Startup Disk

Post by JanesJr1 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:02 am

I am unable to get R-Drive startup disk or flashdrive to work with Windows 8.1, both on a Lenovo T530 and on a Surface Pro 2. (I'm not trying to restore, just validate that the startup disks will boot.)

I have tried both FAT32 flash and CD startup disks. I have turned off Secure Boot, just in case. I have tried to boot the startup disks through the Settings/Change PC Settings/Update & Recovery/Recovery/Advanced Startup/Restart Now re-boot option. On the Surface Pro 2, I also tried the alternative method of holding the volume-down key while pressing the power/start button. On the Lenovo T530, I also tried the alternative method of entering the BIOS-like Boot Menu to select the boot device. I am not aware that any of the startup-disk "troubleshooting" options that apply in this situation (though please correct me if I'm wrong). The connected devices are recognized by the computer, but will not boot.

I will mention that, confusing as UEFI (BIOS successor) is to a non-tech person, I was able to get the computers to use a Windows Recovery flash drive to re-boot. Just not the R-Drive startup disks.

Can you suggest a trouble-shooting step to follow that will allow me to use R-Drive on these Windows 8.1 machines? Or confirm that R-Drive is not yet compatible?

Thank you!

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Windows 8.1 and R-Drive Startup Disk

Post by Alt » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:03 am

Please, read #30 on this File Recovery FAQ.

JanesJr1

Post by JanesJr1 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:12 pm

Thank you.

However, as noted, I had already disabled Secure Boot. It did not resolve the problem.

Since writing this post, I have read on other discussion boards that Windows 8.1 is significantly different from 8.0 on EIFI bootup matters. I have read that other backup/imaging software writers have discovered this, perhaps with surprise, having expected 8.1 to behave like 8.0. (I have no insight on this, just reporting what I read when researching this issue.)

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:26 pm

Thank you for reporting, we'll investigate the problem.

dem39rob

Post by dem39rob » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:50 pm

What is the current situation on this issue ? Problem resolved ?
Waiting before going ahead .

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:44 am

Yes, the startup version of R-Drive Image can start on UEFI systems, even modern Macs, since version 6.0.
And you always can check that yourself. Install the latest version in the Demo mode, create a startup USB disk, and try to boot your system.

dem39rob

Post by dem39rob » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:50 am

Thanks for the information. Glad to have used this forum.

Chris

Post by Chris » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:37 am

I cannot see how to run R-Drive Image from WinPE. If I copy the files from the installed copy on my computer, then it says I have 0 days to use it and doesn't work. It seems long winded having to install a demo version every time I boot to WinPE.
Does anyone know another (better) way?