Data recovery from failed WD My Book

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
stockman

Data recovery from failed WD My Book

Post by stockman » Fri May 29, 2015 6:58 am

Hi guys,

Today my WD My Book with 1TB has stopped working and I lost all my clients files which are critical to me. They are mostly Corel Draw(cdr) files but I also have a lot of family photos and videos in various formats stored on it and I would love to recover them too.
I have googled and found out that R-Linux can do it. I downloaded it and installed on my PC and then went and bought a 2.5"/3.5" sata dock with USB 3 I did not know back then that it would be so slow but I just do not have any desktop where I can connect the HDD directly.

Anyway I put the HDD from WD MB in the dock and checked disk information. I have seen some guys mentioned that there should be ext4 but I do not have it on the HDD. It shows only ext3, primary and some without any FS. Please see attached image Image

I tried to scan some small ext3 partitions but they do not seem to have any files that I want to recover. I can guess that I should be looking at the primary or HarddiskVolume11 and that's what I am trying to scan right now. Is it correct?

If I am right and I find my files does copying(recovering) them will take as long as scanning the whole drive? As you can see it is more than 4 hours now at 3% and estimation is almost 4 days. Hope it is just estimation and I will be able to recover them in two days.

Also I do not want to recover any deleted files, just those that were on the HDD when it stopped reading. Can I somehow see after scan which one where existing and which one were deleted?

Thank you in advance

Corsari

Re: Data recovery from failed WD My Book

Post by Corsari » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:36 pm

Have you checked the SMART ' values?

Read in my signature

Was it a WD with RJ45 port (networking)?
Robert
Technical Manager @ Recupero Dati RAID FAsTec (Italy)

USEFUL RULES and GUIDELINES
1) What to check BEFORE begin a disk image/clone process [link]
2) Disks that are too slow while imaging/cloning them [link]
3) All my posts on this forum [link]

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:17 pm

Do you have any extfs driver installed on the Windows computer you run R-Linux on?

kurt923

Post by kurt923 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:07 pm

I also have a failed WD My Book (Mac) that I am trying to recover data from. Removed from enclosure and connect to my R-STUDIO PC. I have had 100% success rate with R_STUDIO.

In this case the drive is 2tb. The scan information shows HUGE files ... 700+gb and larger, and over 1 million files.

I know the partition table is hosed. Am I doing something wrong?

Only thing I can think of is I see drivelock app. Is it possible there is some sort of encryption implemented.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

FYI ... I've also run testdisk and easus data recovery to no avail.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:56 pm

Can you preview any graphic file? If yes, that means that the drive isn't encrypted, and the file system is corrupted. If no, there's possibility that the drive is encrypted.

kurt923

Post by kurt923 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:44 pm

I can preview a handful of graphic files. They appear to be MAC icons and such, nothing of the user PHOTO nature.

So if the file system is in fact corrupt, what are my options?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:13 am

First, read this article, it explains how data recovery works, and why it may be possible to find huge files and they may be too many. File Recovery Basics: How Data Recovery Works.
Then, you'll need to find files you can recover. I think, you need to start with setting a file mask to cut off too small and too huge files. Then try sort files by their extensions and see what can be recovered.