Raid 5 with 2 bad disks

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.

Raid 5 with 2 bad disks

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:57 am

Hi,
I have a RAID 5 consisting of 4 3TB Seagate Barracudas, two of which seem to have lost their GPT tables.
Right now I am using a demo Version of R-Studio (Mac), trying to rebuild and scan the 9 TB Virtual HFS+ Volume on these disks

Three questions:
1: Can R-Studio handle two disks with damages like this, or do I need some sort of repair before attempting to recover the data?

2: In case this shows some usable results, Is ist possible to save the scan and use it with a licensed version, or do I have to rebuild and scan the disk again? Because right now I'm looking at 13+ hours of scanning. If I need to scan the disks again, I would stop the scan right now.

3: Is R-Studio capable of repairing the gpt tables, or do they need repair before attempting to recover the data. I ask this question because all the tools I tried had trouble dealing with these disks, since they contain a Virtual volume which is obviously larger than the disk itself.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Raid 5 with 2 bad disks

Post by Alt » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:55 am

Guest wrote:Hi,
I have a RAID 5 consisting of 4 3TB Seagate Barracudas, two of which seem to have lost their GPT tables.
Right now I am using a demo Version of R-Studio (Mac), trying to rebuild and scan the 9 TB Virtual HFS+ Volume on these disks

Three questions:
1: Can R-Studio handle two disks with damages like this, or do I need some sort of repair before attempting to recover the data?
Completely depends on what else is damaged on the disk, and whether the virtual RAID's parameters are correct.
Guest wrote:2: In case this shows some usable results, Is ist possible to save the scan and use it with a licensed version, or do I have to rebuild and scan the disk again? Because right now I'm looking at 13+ hours of scanning. If I need to scan the disks again, I would stop the scan right now.
Yes, that's possible and highly recommended. Moreover, you even don't have to close the program to register it. Just enter the registration code and continue data recovery.
Guest wrote:3: Is R-Studio capable of repairing the gpt tables, or do they need repair before attempting to recover the data. I ask this question because all the tools I tried had trouble dealing with these disks, since they contain a Virtual volume which is obviously larger than the disk itself.
No, R-Studio doesn't repair anything. It just copies recovered files from a damaged object to a good one.
Also, I suggest you to ask Corsari for assistance. He specializes in RAID recovery.

Corsari

Post by Corsari » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:38 pm

Hello

You didn't specify which kind of RAID 5

Are/were the disks connected to a RAID controller? Or are they just plugged to a mainboard?
Robert
Technical Manager @ Recupero Dati RAID FAsTec (Italy)

USEFUL RULES and GUIDELINES
1) What to check BEFORE begin a disk image/clone process [link]
2) Disks that are too slow while imaging/cloning them [link]
3) All my posts on this forum [link]

h_d

Post by h_d » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:35 pm

Hi, the opening post was made by me, i have no idea why it shows as a guest post.

I gave the disks to the guy who built the raid for me. I needed some quick help and because I really didn't know what I was doing, I decided to give this to somebody who does. I felt like doing open heart surgery wearing oven mitts.

Here is what I know:
The raid was connected to a LSI 9260-4i Megaraid controller. The driver was a modified driver because OS X doesn't support this card OOTB.
I don't know what Software is being used right now, but even though two of the disks are severely damaged, a filesystem was found and the disks could be read. Recovery is running right now and according to the software, it could take 6 Days or 3 months(!) to recover the 4,5 TB of data.
The most important 12 GB, a job I have been working on over the last weeks, are already recovered and OK.

In case r-studio was used for this, I'll let you know.

Corsari

Post by Corsari » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:32 am

Well
you (he, the guy you gave the drives)

hopefully are/is following the guidelines I've written in the posts you can read in my signature at bottom.

Uncertain time projections, days to months, sounds like if that person is using the original drives and if you have other archives you may need, the risk is to kill those two drives even before you recover little part of the original content.
Robert
Technical Manager @ Recupero Dati RAID FAsTec (Italy)

USEFUL RULES and GUIDELINES
1) What to check BEFORE begin a disk image/clone process [link]
2) Disks that are too slow while imaging/cloning them [link]
3) All my posts on this forum [link]