Help with Storage Spaces

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
fmahannah

Help with Storage Spaces

Post by fmahannah » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:01 am

On a machine running Windows 8.1 Pro I set up two 3TB drives as a mirror set in storage spaces, plugged into a BlackX Duo esata enclosure.

Ran fine for over a year, then suddenly my machine kept rebooting (blue screen) and gave no specific reason. i finally got the action alert that told me to check storage spaces for a problem.

It gave some odd warning about reduced resiliency but showed both drives as OK. I tried removing one drive and rebooting, and that fixed the machine blue screening. Put that drive back in and then storage spaces had marked it as retired and told me to add another drive. I added a 3TB to the pool and expected a rebuild and it did nothing. Now it thinks it has three drives with one retired, two ok but the new one not being used, and will not let me read from the storage space. If I try to replace the bad drive in manager or powershell I get the warning that there is not enough room for the data which is not correct.

I tried taking the one good drive and putting it on a different machine thinking I could get the data off of it since this was a simple mirror, but that is not the case. The second machine sees the storage space and will not let me do anything with it.

Now when I put all three drives on the original machine the only drive showing good is the empty replacement drive. See the attached image for what it is showing.

I am trying r-studio and scanning the one disk that should still be good, but after several hours it now says it is 100% with 1 minute 33 seconds remaining but it is just sitting there.

I also attached a shot of what R-Studio shows for my disk drives. My concern is that it sees the three drives in the pool, but it does not show any actual storage pool like shown in your documentation?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Help with Storage Spaces

Post by Alt » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:21 am

First, I'd check the bad drive for SMART warnings.

fmahannah

Post by fmahannah » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:56 pm

In the R-Studio interface none of the three 3 TB drives are showing any smart information even when refreshed. Everything just says UNKNOWN.

Could this be because the drives are in esata enclosures and not connected directly to motherboard SATA ports? I don't have any spare SATA ports
and the enclosre is how the storage space has always been run

I tried a scan of the drive that should be good, it took 10 hours and just shows a list of different colored areas like Recognized13.
But when I try to list the files or restore them almost none of the directory and folders names are correct. If I can't recover the
folder structure then the data is pretty useless to me

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:00 am

First, I'd check if the enclosure is working normally. I'd put a regular hard drive into it and see whether the enclosure shows SMART for it, and how the files are accessible.
Second, if the enclosure works correctly, I'd leave only the good disk from the storage space and try to work with it.
If the enclosure fails, I'd try to connect the good disk through a USB - sata adapter and work with that installation.