ReadyNAS Duo recovery of movie files

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
Ernie2210

ReadyNAS Duo recovery of movie files

Post by Ernie2210 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:33 am

Dear All,

actually I moved from my old ReadyNAS Duo V2 to a new Synology NAS. Unfortunately I forgot to copy one folder with a lot of movies from my children taken by camera and camcorder. Furthermore I made several factory resets on the ReadyNAS, because I wanted to set it up as new backup drive, but I don’t have written any new data on the drive.

With R-Studio I found a lot of data with the following problems:
- The camcorder movies (transport stream) are extremly fragmented with a maximum size of 61,4MB and some of them are found as gzip
- I could not find any of my Camara movies, which are H.264/MPEG-4 in a .mov container
- Also it found a lot of .vp6 files, which I can’t play with vlc movie player

The ReadyNAS Duo V2 is built of two 1TB harddisks and I think they were used in RAID1 configuration, but I’m not sure, beause Netgear uses ther special X-Raid format.

Does anybody know, what settings I should use to build up a virtual raid or to scan the drives.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,

Ernie
Last edited by Ernie2210 on Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Corsari

Re: ReadyNAS Duo recovery of movie files

Post by Corsari » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:41 am

It is something is not written anywhere

There are analysis to be carried out by HEX editor that (if really NOTHING has been written on the drives) could allow to define what it could have been both at RAID level and as filesystem too.

Wait for Alt reply, on my side I can only analyze the drives.

regards
Robert
Technical Manager @ Recupero Dati RAID FAsTec (Italy)

USEFUL RULES and GUIDELINES
1) What to check BEFORE begin a disk image/clone process [link]
2) Disks that are too slow while imaging/cloning them [link]
3) All my posts on this forum [link]

Ernie2210

Post by Ernie2210 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:20 pm

Thank you for your answer. After reading more regarding data recovery and your hint with the HEX Editor, I red out the signature of my MOV files. Unfortunately I could only find a starting signature.

The signature is identically to some mp4 files, which R-Studio found, but they are not playable. Then I made some short scans for this starting signature and found some files, which are also not playable, but the files contain valid data, like creation date and so on. So the files are still there, but on the one hand I don't know the ending signature and on the other hand, what if they are fragmented on the disk?

By the way I started a short scan with my signature on both drives nd found the same files on both drives. So from that point, they seemed to be mirrored in RAID 1 configuration.

Ernie2210

Post by Ernie2210 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:27 am

One update, the ReadyNAS Duo is only v1, it has misleading sticker!

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:25 am

If it was indeed in the RAID 1 (mirror) configuration, you don't have to create anything like a virtual RAID. Working with one disk is enough.
Did you scan an entire disk?
And how much the NAS was filled? If it was almost full, most likely the video files were scattered across the storage and therefore fragmented.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:26 am

And always save scan info!

Ernie2210

Post by Ernie2210 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:40 am

Thanks for your Support!

In the last year, the NAS was pretty full, but not when the older film recordings were stored, which are also highly fragmented.

Unfortunately, I do not know how the NAS has been configured at the start-up, five years ago. It may be that it has been configured in X-RAID per default and I changed it at actual the factory reset on Raid 1, but would then be valid data on the second hard disk? Far as I know the second hard disk has only parity information in the X-Raid configuration? And if it was at first in X-Raid configuration would it make sense to set it back to this configuration and scan again?

Yesterday I bought a large hard drive and made an image of the first disk with a complete scan. The second disk will be finished today.

In the RAW data of the first disk I found again fragmented videos of my first digital camera (avi) and my camcorder (mts). Some of the fragments were also found as Gzip, riff, or MP4. Furthermore I found a lot of fragments of movies, which were stored in transport stream on the disk.

At the end I could live with the fragmented files, but what is very annoying for me, is the fact that until now I couldn’t find any video taken with my Fuji XF1, which uses a MOV container format. There must be something special about this format. As mentioned above I also scanned for the signature of the Fuji XF1 files and found a lot of them, but they are not playable.

Ernie2210

Post by Ernie2210 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:03 pm

So I finished the Image and R-Studio found on both disks the same raw data. Does this mean that they were configured as Raid 1 or is it possible that they get mirrored, while changing from X-Raid to Raid 1?

Ernie2210

Post by Ernie2210 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:20 am

Does somebody know a Freeware, with which I can mount the .dsk Image to Windows for testing other things?

Ernie2210

Post by Ernie2210 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:14 am

I found the Freeware OSFMount, which Mounts the image to windows!