GPT error 01

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
Jo Blow

GPT error 01

Post by Jo Blow » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:04 pm

Trying to recover a corrupt partition. I think all the data is fine.

When loading the backup image, R-Studio reports GPT tables error 0x1.

What does this mean and is it possible to fix?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: GPT error 01

Post by Alt » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:41 am

That means the disk doesn't have a protective MBR. Doesn't affect data recovery.
What is the image of? An entire HDD, or partition? Was the HDD healthy when imaged, and did this error appear when the disk was imaged?

Jo Blow

Post by Jo Blow » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:23 pm

I don' t know what happened but I installed win10, then about a week later a partition on a drive shows up as "Local Disk" with 0 files. I used that disk the day before so I know all the data should be ok. I noticed it right when I turned on the computer for the day.

I had r-studio create an image of the partition, then formatted the partition and had r-studio try to recover the file. r-studio reported this error to me when I loaded the image. I figured everything was ok. I noticed that most of the files were missing in the recovery. Probably about half the data was gone. Just empty folders and some 0 length files. I then tried to browse the files on the image and they were not there either. I figured I screwed up by formatting the drive and using it as a base but I figured if the data was lost, it was probably lost for good and I assumed the image created by r-studio was a perfect representation(I'm not so sure about that now). I also didn't have any place to recover all the data independent of the partition in question.

I'm hoping that the image is still good and can be fixed by toggling some flag to make it work ;). The the drive had 3 partitions on it and the other 2 work without issue. Also, I believe my SATA controller may be failing and this could have been the result of a bad write.

Is there any way to correct the image or can I write the image, bit for bit, to a the same partition again and then try to fix it some other way? I was hoping the ReFS would have multiple redundancies of the FS in case this happened(I think NTFS has a main and secondary file table that one can use if the first gets corrupt?).

I'm pretty confident that all the correct data is there and the file tables and all that, if r-studio created a true image, except possibly bad sectors(which there isn't any reported by the drive), that at some point I'll figure out how to get the data off properly. I was able to recover a few critical files I wanted, but lost some stuff I'd like to have.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:53 pm

Jo Blow wrote: I'm hoping that the image is still good and can be fixed by toggling some flag to make it work ;).
I don't think this is a good idea. Better recover files first and then create a new partition and write the files back to it.
Jo Blow wrote: The the drive had 3 partitions on it and the other 2 work without issue. Also, I believe my SATA controller may be failing and this could have been the result of a bad write.
If the controller is the issue, you MUST immediately take the disk out of the computer and use another one to recover the files. If you just formatted the partition and didn't write anything on it, there're chances that the file data is still on the disk. Otherwise, you're out of luck.